What would you do for a blocked milk duct at 11 at night?

I think I have a blocked milk duct, and it's too late to call a doctor tonight, but it really hurts. Any advice?

Annikakaley420

Asked by Annikakaley420 at 2:05 AM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Health

• wow
    CarolineDezon

Answer by CarolineDezon at 2:10 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Can you pump? You need to move the milk, so nurse or pump. Drink alot of water, massage your breast starting at the top and work your way down to your nipple. IB Profin for the pain, but take a small dose until you can talk to your doctor if it really hurts. Apply a warm washcloth or heat pad to help with the pain and definately before you nurse it helps with milk let down. Nurse often and get sleep. Be careful because if untreated it can lead to mastitis.
    Good Luck!
    browningmom

Answer by browningmom at 2:17 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Thank you! I appreciate your help!!
    Annikakaley420

Comment by Annikakaley420 (original poster) at 2:18 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Try a warm shower if you can get away (i.e., someone is there to watch the baby while you're in the shower). If you can't get in the shower, try applying moist heat - like a washcloth wrung enough to prevent dripping, but very warm and mostly wet. Hold it to the affected area til it begins to cool; then wet , wring & apply again. As you hold it to the blocked duct, gently massage. This helped me. Hope you can make it through til your doctor is available. Most importantly, unless you suspect infection, continue to nurse. Sometimes this will clear the duct. Also, check the La Leche League website. This is their thing. Their advice is usually sound. Hope this helps. :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 2:24 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Thanks! That does help! A lot!! :)
    Annikakaley420

Comment by Annikakaley420 (original poster) at 2:30 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Another idea is when no was around to watch my son when he was an infant was put the little one in there carseat and take a bath where yu can still see and talk to the little one. I believe a heating pad might work or a hot water bottle.
    whoreallycares

Answer by whoreallycares at 3:14 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Warm or hot shower, heating pad, hot water bottle. heated rice bag,.
    IASTUDENT

Answer by IASTUDENT at 2:43 PM on Sep. 16, 2010