Choosing to be offended?

So if, as according to the question below, Christians (specifically the ones who have issues with gays, which is hardly all Christians or even the majority these days) have a right to not be exposed to things they consider sins, how come they aren't petitioning to have all fast food banned so they don't have to be exposed to gluttony, and their kids won't ever have to see people gorging on a value meal? Why aren't they overthrowing the government to implement a pure socialist system of government so they never have to worry about their child seeing a greedy person? Why is it only this one sin, that's not even one of the big sins, that is SO offensive it must be banned from the sight of everyone? How come none of the other sins are as worthy of so much attention? Aren't the prideful athletes on the Olympics and Super Bowl just as harmful to fragile innocence that must be shielded from sin?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 2:47 AM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Good questions!

When presented with the 'men will be incited to rape' argument for women having to cover their hair, faces, whole bodies, ankles, breasts, etc., I have always wondered right out loud why men aren't blinded to stop them behaving as badly as they're expected to. They can function blind, ask anyone who's been blind since birth. No biggie. Clearly the risk of them behaving badly is SO likely that everyone else has to accommodate them... why not stop it where it starts? Why punish the victims of their lack of restraint?

I'm pretty sure that homosexuality is not on the list of sins, however much lots of people like to automatically (and inaccurately) read 'promiscuity' in the word --which is also not actually a sin. Eating lobster is a sin, says so right there in the Old Testament... neither homosexuality nor promiscuity are named. In either section. An oversight? By an omnipotent god? Seems unlikely.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:53 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Because they are forgetting one thing: You are to love the sinner, hate the sin. They are putting their religon(sp? Im tired) before God and Truth. They would have been called by Jesus a Hypocrite. Cant see past the log in their own eye, but can pick out a splinter in someone elses. Not saying Im am perfect and sinless, but this is a very common thing among christians unfortunately.
    browningmom

Answer by browningmom at 2:56 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Lets not forget about the EVILS of blended fabric. "Spandex....oh you are a terrible foe"
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 2:56 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• "Spandex....oh you are a terrible foe"

I dunno, I could hang with a ban on spandex, or at least spandex at gyms that have giant plate-glass windows by the ellipticals.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 2:58 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• How about banning belly shirts, cause really they dont look good on ANYONE
    browningmom

Answer by browningmom at 3:09 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Their freaking psycho and like to pick and choose, after all what else can you expect that is how the ones you refer to use the bible, they just ignore what they don't like.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 3:22 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• "You are to love the sinner, hate the sin"

This is very true,,,

To answer you O.P. you are right... all of these things are considered sinful...however, i dont think i am going to hell because i let my child see someone eat a hamburger and fries...i do think i will go to hell if i let him see to guys engage in sexual acts and not tell him that is wrong...as far as pride... that is a tough one i deal with myself... (no one is perferct) i do take pride in things.. it's hard as A human not too... but IMO God knows this and that is why there is forgivness
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 4:18 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• *perfect
    *hard FOR humans..
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 4:19 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• WOW JUlian why would you let your kids watch any one engage in sex last I checked that was illegal any way.

Thanks for the vote down I love to see my fan club grow.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 4:43 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Wow hot-mama you have issues... I am talking about kissing and things of that sort... are you able to take your mind on an adult level for ATLEAST 5 min. you troll up EVERY post....geezzzzzzzzzzzz

Yea, I save all my vote downs just for you ♥♥♥♥
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 4:49 AM on Sep. 16, 2010