Do cold showers really affect baby in tummy?

I live in Nicaragua, and it is stinkin HOT! I take extremely cold showers at all times of the day, afternoon, and night... My MIL swears that I am going to have a baby with lung problems because of this showering... is that true? or just an old wives tale?

SusieQue717

Asked by SusieQue717 at 4:11 AM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Sounds like an old wives' tale. Unless you were lowering your body temperature to a dangerous level, I can't see how it would be a problem.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:10 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• You would have to stay in cold water a loooong time to affect the baby in any way. This is an old wives tale. To get her off your back, don't tell her you're taking cold showers! :)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:46 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• its an old wives tale. when my babyboy balls up to one side and the babygirl on the other i take a cold shower and they move around thank goodness!
    mauricellaf

Answer by mauricellaf at 11:57 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Definitely say old wives tale. Like a previous poster stated, you'd have to lower your body temperature to below normal before it would affect baby in any way. And if it's that hot outside, then your body temp is probably elevated anyway - which is worse for baby then you trying to stay cool!!! Good luck mama!!
    mama_of5

Answer by mama_of5 at 12:28 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Thank you guys!! I thought it was an old wives tale, just wanted to see if anyone had heard the same...
    SusieQue717

Comment by SusieQue717 (original poster) at 11:04 AM on Sep. 17, 2010