Do you believe it's true that we have weight issues with children becuase they aren't allowed to play outside and only play video games?

whoreallycares

Asked by whoreallycares at 4:12 AM on Sep. 16, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Kids are allowed to play outside..its a parents personal choice not to get thier kid involved in outside activities but weight issues are not only related to kids sitting at home without going outside. Obesity has always been an issue but because more and more people are obesed, they've made it a huge issue. Some people exercise on a regular basis, have weight issues and are healthy...
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 1:55 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Its a mix of kids never going outside anymore and always being stuck to the stupid video games, too much fast food, not enough physical education in schools, and have you seen the food they serve in schools? not exactly healthy. Personal responsibility really has taken a step back in the last few years and people are quick to blame the games or the fast food industry, but You as a parent dont have to buy those video games or buy that fast food.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 4:21 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Not playing outside is part of it, and fast foods. Also I avoided giving food as rewards.

Answer by Bmat at 4:29 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I think that is just one of MANY factors that can affect obesity (or at least people being overweight). Diet is the most important problem. Convenience foods are rarely very nutritious and our society turns to them regularly. People eat far too much fast food or pre-packaged "heat up" kinds of food instead of preparing wholesome nutritious meals because it takes less time. Lack of good physical activity, including but not limited to playing outside but instead sitting in front of the tv or computer for longer periods of time is another factor. Genetics can also be a factor.
    AmeliasMommy206

Answer by AmeliasMommy206 at 8:33 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I agree with pp also I don't let my kids eat at school anymore because the school lunches are so full of simple starches as well as preservatives and processed food. I send a well rounded lunch and my girls are really starting to take the initiative to eat healthier and love to tell me to eat healthy too.  I have lost 50 lbs in the past year because I don't sit and snack all day and we get out and walk in the yard and play ball. 

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 5:07 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Uh, my kid sits inside on the computer, video games and such....he is SUPER SKINNY. LOL So, no, I don't blame it on that solely. I blame the food people feed their kids. My kid also eats school lunches, so, I don't blame those either.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:57 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I think kids should be outside more. We're always outside =)
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 9:05 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Who says their "not allowed" the parents, that are too busy working to watching them play outside? too tired to bother? Nobody or nothing can be blamed for the obesity in kids these days except the parents. YOU dont have to feed them school lunches. You dont have to buy them that ds, or wii. When i was a kid, the cool thing to get for christmas or bdays' wasnt any of that, it was a bike, skipping rope, ice skates...I think most people or alot of them anyway, jump to eatting the quick to prepare packaged crap, fast food, high sodium, fat, type food, because its easy. I think people have to all get up and get outside and stop being so lazy, and stop blaming everyone else. Your kids, your family, your problem.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 9:38 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Yes I think that excessive video game playin can contribute to obesity. As a parent limit the amount of time they are allowed to play video games, then make them go out side & ride a bike or play soccer, something to get them moving.
    free2beeme39

Answer by free2beeme39 at 10:22 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I think that's part of it along with overindulgent parents (that give in and let their kids eat whatever they want), lack of exercise in school (many have tossed out recess or don't allow running while on the playground), etc.
    My kids eat mostly healthy (with some junk food) but are outside ALL the time. From the time they are done with their homework until bedtime they are outside. In the summer it's from breakfast until it's dark. They are all super skinny. Even when we have stints where we eat way too much junk (hot dogs and mac & cheese every other night for whatever reason) I don't worry because they run it all off outside.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:57 PM on Sep. 16, 2010