Mother in law

How involved is your mother in law in your marraige and raising the kids?

Doreen633

Asked by Doreen633 at 5:11 AM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Relationships

• I am the MIL. I'm not involved in my son's marriage. I take care of my grandson about every other day. I have minimal contact with my DIL. I only see her a couple of times a month. My grandson just turned 2. My DIL went back to work when he was around 10 mo and is very into her job, not so much into her family. She was a spoiled princess youngest child and she is unable to take care of her son alone. She can take care of him a couple of hours on a good day. My son and I get along well and he is very happy with the way I take care of my grandson. They want me to come live with them but I don't want to live with my DIL.  

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:55 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Not at all. She stays her nose out of our business unless we tell her something. We are lucky to hear from her onces a month.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 5:26 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Not involved unless we asked her opinion which we did sometimes. She raised 3 boys and has a lot of common sense and I value her opinion
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:58 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I absolutely love my MIL. She is the best! She doesn't jump into our marriage or anything, unless we ask her. Not that we have, though. Anyway, seeing as how we lived 1400 miles away from EVERYONE in our families, we are the only ones involved in raising our kids, although if we have a question or anything, or I do, I do not hesitate to call my mother or my mother in law. She is just another mom to me. I love all of my inlaws! They are awesome!
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 9:27 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Glad to know that I'm not the only lucky one out there..... Most of my friends HATES their mother in laws.... and with good reason
    Doreen633

Comment by Doreen633 (original poster) at 5:57 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I am lucky as well. She keeps out of things unless we ask her. Now my mother.....

.crying

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:48 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• What does mother do?
    Doreen633

Comment by Doreen633 (original poster) at 6:50 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• my mil (rest her soul) was my best friend - was an ever present part of our family - never offered advice - spoiled the heck out of our kids - never once interfered in our marriage - was always there for us - i can't think of one negative thing to say about her - she has been gone 5 years now - and i still find myself crying every now and then - when thinking about her - i guess i just got lucky - and i have patterned myself after her - i think my dil's got a pretty good mil because of the mil she was to me - i remember my mother really, really disliking her mil - so you can imagine how susrprised, how happy i was to have my mil - in fact i met my mil before i met my husband - we were friends first - so i loved her before i even met her son - and so it goes....
    kaysimon132461

Answer by kaysimon132461 at 9:01 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• not much...thank God......she was very involved in my brother in laws marriage, and I think it helped to ruin it! Thankfully she doesn't involve herself as much in our home. Not that I dont love her, she's a great woman but too much interferance is bad!
    HuntersMom25

Answer by HuntersMom25 at 9:34 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• She's not at all involved in our marriage - she loves to be included in our life, but she minds her business. She is a wonderful grandparent to our kids and a great parent to DH and to me. We see her about once every 6 weeks. I don't know what we'd do without her in our lives.
    MomToBeISaMom

Answer by MomToBeISaMom at 10:09 AM on Sep. 16, 2010