Please tell me others know the differences between...

Tolerate and accept?

hot-mama86

Asked by hot-mama86 at 5:29 AM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• This is one of my peeves. My son is autistic and I hate when teachers say about teaching other students in the school 'tolerance'. I say how about teach them accecptance, as tolerance means to endure pain. I'd like to think that being with my child is not a painful experience.

But, not matter what the topic is--there IS a difference. I've begun to realize that I can't argue this point with people. I may not have to accept rudeness or ignorance, but I tolerate it.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:40 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• There is a big difference between tolerating something/someone and accepting. Tolerating is to deal w/ it like it or not. Accepting is to invite in unconditionally.
    RosieCheeks64

Answer by RosieCheeks64 at 7:07 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Agreed Julians some are demanding..good response marywolfe..

OP there is a difference..tolerate is to just deal with ..no bullying etc..

accepting..we can accept the person..but do not have to accept the act

by the way when it comes to those of us against homosexuality..i'd say us Americans (of such opinion) do a pretty damn good job of tolerating..
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:03 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I can tolerate most the liberal/progressive opinions and ideals, but I don't have to accept their agenda... ;o)

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:47 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Tolerate= put up with/deal with, but you do not like them. Eccept= you like them and you want to be like friends.

Answer by louise2 at 5:38 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Not only are they demanding it, they are shoving it down our throats and forcing the issue on us. You CAN accept the person as a human being, but do not have to accept the lifestyle they chose. There are basic human needs - food, warmth, shelter.
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 7:16 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Yeah this acceptance and tolerance of bad behavior has really gotten us far hasn't it? We must accept that premarital sex is OK along with living together. Heck we can even have multiple partners if we want. We get bored with our spouses well just divorce them. ( BTW there are very good reasons for divorce). What has happened since all this tolerance has been around? Women complaining that Men don't know how to be Men. Why should they stick around and take care of things, help raise their Children? We tolerate this behavior by saying that It's OK do what feels good. Do what's in your heart. Not a problem, we'll take care of it. There are many who now see how all this tolerance and acceptance of bad behavior has brought grave consequences to our society. Many of the young are looking back and seeing the bad of the last decades. Trying to correct the wrongs of their parents. Before it's too late.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 7:19 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• delilah just because it has worked for you doesn't mean that as a whole it has worked. It hasn't. Just go to the journals page. Just about every hour there is some women complaining because of the father of their child not doing right. Most of them have not even been married. Or at least once a day you'll see on here. I'm so scared I don't know who the father of my child is. This behavior has caused a break down in our society. Now do we need to accept that mistakes have been and that as human beings they need our help? of course. But to condone and tolerate this behavior needs to stop. Children need to be taught that there dire consequences to this. Many have learned the hard way through seeing the bad behavior of their parents, and what it cost them.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 8:21 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Tolerating means putting up with.
    Accepting means validating and actually supporting.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:26 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• There is explaining needed when you try to post silly little things like this to 'prove a point' in the end you will just take what was said wayyyy out of context...
    there is very much a need because that was what we were talking about!!

Okay, good for other people who agree with you... that's fine... this isn't some popularity contest doll... I am here speaking my opinion just like you and everyone else... i could care less if i stand with a million or stand alone, that's not going to change what I think,,,

and IMO people arent ASKING acceptance or tolerance of the gay lifestyle they are DEMANDING IT, that was the MAIN point of my post and I asked where is the acceptance or tolerance for the opposing side... through all the hours back and forth, your still missing it!!
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 5:49 AM on Sep. 16, 2010