Left side, really?

I know you're not supposed to lay on your back during the 2nd-3rd trimester. But can you lay on your right OR left side? I hear left then right is a no no in the 3RD tri but I'm 18 wks and 3 days so does it REALLY matter now? I can always sleep on my left side...I have to keep switching throughout the night.

HayleyGM

Asked by HayleyGM at 6:58 PM on Oct. 17, 2008 in Pregnancy

• you can sleep on whatever side you are comfortable at.

and yes, you are allowed to sleep on your back.. the only reason why OB's tell you to better not do it, is because the baby is so "heavy" and could lay on one of your back-nerves, some of them could stop the blood circulation so that could make you pass out. but at 18weeks your child isnt that heavy yet :).. i had to stop laying on my back when i was 25 or 28 weeks.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 7:02 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• It's left side. You can lay on your back for a little while if you are propped up. It is also okay to lay on your right but the baby gets better blood flow when you are on your left.
    smiley82

Answer by smiley82 at 7:06 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• i feel the same..
    its hard to sleep on one side so i sleep on my right and back.
    but i mostly try sleeping on my left side more
    misty91

Answer by misty91 at 8:15 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• i heard to sleep on left side someone told me you can breath better on the left side,but i was never told that i couldnt sleep on my back,idk if you should sleep on your back or not?but the left side is the best side
    photogrypher

Answer by photogrypher at 8:55 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• What I've been told is it is best to lay on your left side. There is a vein or artery on the right side that supplies baby with blood/oxygen. I've always just slept propped up on a few pillows so I'm not flat on my back.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 10:57 PM on Oct. 17, 2008