If you are the type of parent that is afraid to let your child see anything that goes on "in this big bad world" why would you want to bring a child into this world?

I'm not bashing anyone for having kids..its just a question..maybe a debate.

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 7:45 AM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I am not that type of parent. I don't censor anything. We make everything a learning experience. I live by the motto: "We should be World-proofing our kids and stop trying to Child-proof the world around them."
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:48 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• It's all about moderation for me. I don't completely shelter my kids, but I am a firm believer that there are appropriate ages for certain topics and realities to be introduced. My daughters have recently turned 7 and 9, and up til now, I have not allowed them to be exposed to sexual situations because I feel that their brain development and maturity levels are not prepared for that kind of subject matter.( I have recently started discussing the "birds and bees" with my 9 year old.)
    In my opinion, exposing young children to adult subject matter and expecting them to be able to process it properly is equivalent to expecting them to be able to handle carrying a 150-pound suitcase when they are only 40 pounds themselves. They just aren't ready.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:43 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Instead of sheltering, why don't we encourage them to change things in this big, bad world? I agree with a certain degree of sheltering, and I see no reason why people that choose to shelter their kids shouldn't have children.
    MomToBeISaMom

Answer by MomToBeISaMom at 10:46 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I agree, somewhat. I will shelter my son from some things while he's a child. I believe in protecting their innocence when they're little. However, as they get older and more able to understand, its good to teach them about the good AND bad things of the world. I'd much rather my son be educated and exposed with me than later on when he's grown and I'm not around all of the time to help him with it.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 2:30 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I think for a while most people just want thier kids to be kids. If my kids walk in and see bad/sad stuff on the news I explain to them what happened. I don't think they will grow up thinking everything is a fairy tale. BUT I also do not want them thinking the whole world is bad. I encourage them to do good and to try to make their corner of the world a better place. as with all questions my kids ask me I give them honest answers to even the hard to answer questions.
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 2:36 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Largely, it's not about fear, it's about age-appropriateness and developmental/cognitive abilities and understanding.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 3:16 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• We do not shelter. We teach him about the "Big, bad world" and how to deal with that. If change is necessary, then so be it. Plus, I just don't live by the motto that this whole world is big and bad. A friend of mine homeschools her kids b/c she does not want them to learn things that she does not agree with at all. Sad really.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 3:17 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I've honestly wondered the same thing over and over again... I read the posts on here sometimes and honestly think "Seriously, this woman it a nutball..." But then I can only think the conservative moms think the same of me...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:08 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

•  I believe that kids do not process things like adults So when they see things they will likely interpret it differently.  Sheltering  is more about letting them see and do age appropriate things at the right time. Fully exposing children to everything is not a good idea because you really do have to look into if they're ready for that experience first. Everything in the world is not bad so I am not understanding why caring about what a child does and how it could effect them is a problem? I would think it's a good thing to take steps to protect a child from things that are not age appropriate.

SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 7:01 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• i think that things should be censored only for the reason that the child is not old enough to completely understand the situation and may cause harm mentally instead of installing knowledge in them
    SUNFLOWER80T

Answer by SUNFLOWER80T at 7:11 PM on Sep. 16, 2010