Advice about my Toddler

How can I get my Toddler to stop saying "Mine", when she doesn't get something she wants or has something that isn't hers that she doesn't need to play with. By the way she got it from Max & Ruby, Max says "MINE" alot. It's driving me crazy because she is saying it alot, I don't want her to think she can always have what she wants, I don't want my child to sound like a brat! I've been telling her that we don't say it and its not nice, because she is saying it very demanding.

marcnsarah

Asked by marcnsarah at 8:00 AM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It is a phase that every child goes through. They will learn in time that not everything is theirs. In order for kids to learn how to share, they first go thru a stage of realizing that they actually have posessions of their own. So labeling everything as mine is a way to practice that concept.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:10 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Try telling her to say something else. Every time she says mine, tell her to say "can I have it?" Maybe she can learn to substitute one for the other, and stil have something to say when she wants something. Telling hernot to do something won't work unless yu also tell her what she can do.
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 8:30 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• It will pass in time. Just keep correcting her with whatever you want her to do instead, over and over and over. Eventually she'll get it. It is completely normal - anyone with kids will understand that all toddlers say "mine", and if they see you gently correcting her, that will smooth any ruffled feathers. Don't worry about her sounding bratty unless it persists.
    kimberlyann_214

Answer by kimberlyann_214 at 1:52 PM on Sep. 16, 2010