Can Anyone Give me some info on Kids age 7-9

Well reason why i am asking my sister-law has a 8 yearold about to be 9 and a 2 yearold about to be 3 and Seem that some times i feel like i am a mother to both of them girls what i am asking I never really raised a 8 yearold before .. How do i make the 8 yearold understand when someone ask her do something to do it..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:32 PM on Jul. 1, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• If it is not your child I would say respectly talk with her and explain when something is asked it needs to be done. My mom always told me "when you respect someone, they will respect you back" hope it helps
    tazzyt19

Answer by tazzyt19 at 4:41 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• Remember that she's a child and has to be taught. It would have been nice if your SIL taught her from a young age but it's never too late to learn. I find 8 yr olds to be sort of cool. They learn quickly. Be patient and don't get angry. Simply repeat the task you want her to do. I didn't mind explaining why we do certain things like taking out trash to be clean and keep bugs/rodents away or we wash out the tub after a bath to get rid of germs. Make it a learning experience for her. Always praise her when she does well. Kids love praise. They love to please so if she screws up don't get upset. Simply say you are disapointed that she didn't do as you ask. Remind her it needs to be done. If it's to clean her mess up then perhaps she doesn't want to be alone in the room doing it so if you can, tell her you will stay with her while she finishes up. My mom said the faster we do chores the sooner we get to do fun stuff. maybe that helps.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:27 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• at the age of 8 you should be able to talk to her and let her know what is expected. just try to look at things from her point of view to make the talking easier.
    dannersmell

Answer by dannersmell at 5:54 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• I have 11, 9 and 8 yr olds and my sister's kids are at my house a lot, ages 8 and 6. The ONLY thing that works for me is constant reminding. Eventually, they get it. Um... most of the time. I still have to remind them all to flush the toilet! lol. I have made them come in from playing outside to turn off the tv, even when I could have done it myself. They don't forget that one often now!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 11:31 PM on Jul. 1, 2008