My son is close to walking it's not funny, what are some good ways to help encourage him to take his first steps?

HuntersMom25

Asked by HuntersMom25 at 8:07 AM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Simply hold your arms outstretched to him and encourage him to try to walk towards you. Heap tons of praise and loving on him when he can do it. Enjoy!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:13 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• By holding his two little hands and walking behind him - by encouraging him to hold onto the coffee table of some little table, perhaps one of his little toy tables, like lego table, and walk around by holding onto that - once he accomplishes that, you could kneel down very close to him and encourage him to walk to you, maybe just 1 or 2 steps - then just keep making the distance between the two of you longer until he is walking - oh, before that, i forgot - there are wonderful toys out there that babies can push that helps them to walk - maybe some younger mothers know the names of these toys, i'm an older mom - but those toys are wonderful - i'll bet some of the younger moms can be of more help - i tried - smiles - and good luck with your little one!!!! love him to death - they are grown before you know it!!!!
    kaysimon132461

Answer by kaysimon132461 at 8:14 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• with my DD we encouraged her to step away from the furniture by sitting just out of her reach and holding a fave toy of hers. she would reach for it and then when she couldn't reach it she would inch forward until she let go of the table/couch/chair/etc and take a couple steps toward us. after a few successful attempts, move further away so she had to go farther to reach her toy. by the next day she was walking all over the place :)
    Angelgirl25

Answer by Angelgirl25 at 8:14 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I took my DD to the playgrounds that you find in the mall, the helper fell secure, because everything is soft, so when she felt she didnt cry at all.
    Culikgada

Answer by Culikgada at 9:37 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• My son could stand so well and could take one step here and one step there but he just wouldnt step. Well he was walking along the couch and i sat in the middle of the floor and was eating a piece of ham and he let go of the couch and walked to me to get the ham, and he never stopped..lol..Just simple encouragement should do the trick if the kiddos ready :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 4:23 PM on Sep. 16, 2010