How can I get my son to understand underwear is NOT a diaper???

My son will be 3 on Saturday and we have been potty training for a while. He knows that he is supposed to use the bathroom when he goes and all of that but will only go if he is naked. If I let him run around naked all day he will walk in the bathroom even put the little seat that goes over the real potty on and go. He even stand up to go. But the second I put underwear on him no matter how many time I tell him and he tells me that you do not go the bathroom in them he does it anyways. Its like its just a diaper to him. Any suggestions? He has never had a bowel movement in the potty yet so we are still working on that also.

BeautyFromPain

Asked by BeautyFromPain at 8:17 AM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Have you tried to just get him on the toilet at regular intervals? Eventually he'll get used to staying dry. My son was potty trained before his 2nd birthday and stopped pooping in his diaper around 20 months or so. At first it was hard to get a kid that young to actually sit on the toilet long enough to poop. What we'd do is watch for the signs that he was about to poo (he'd always run and hide behind something) and get him on the potty right away. Then we'd sit and read books to him while he went. Maybe something like that could work for your little guy.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 11:20 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Leave him naked. Both of our boys were naked for a couple weeks when they were training. If you have to put clothes on him, use underware, but take him every 15-20 minutes whether he says he has to go or not. If he goes in his underware, make him help you clean them in the sink, so he will see that it is different that a diaper that you throw away. I would NOT put him in a diaper, that will only confuse him more.
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 8:27 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• With my son, who turned 3 in May, I took a daiper and a pair of big boy undies and explained to him that diapers are for babies and that I knew he wanted to be a big boy. I told him if he went a week without a wet diaper/pullup we would start using the big boy undies. He had only 2 accidents once we got rid of the diapers at our house, but according to my son my ex still makes him wear pull ups, I don't know why I guess cuz my ex is a moron. My son even gets up in the middle of the night and goes on his own. When we first started we also used candy as a reward, use the potty and you get a piece of candy, we then trickled it back to every 2nd or 3rd time he went he got a piece, and now he doesn't get any. It only took us just a couple of weeks and he had it mastered. I wish you luck.
    momof3xthefun

Answer by momof3xthefun at 8:41 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Some boys aren't ready until they are over 3. They just don't feel it (or maybe they don't care). I would use diapers until he is using the potty since underware aren't working. With my late bloomer a big bribe worked. He wanted a Big Wheel. I told him if I didn't have to buy diapers I could buy the Big Wheel. He never went in a diaper again. We went to Target and got the Big Wheel. He was 3.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:22 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Stop relying on him and stop telling him. Take him and have him sit and try to go every 15 minutes until he "gets" it. Then, after a day, he should be ready to up the time to every 30 minutes. And so on...by day 3 or 4, he should be fully trained.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:23 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Repition. He's getting there! He will soon get the connection that underwear is different from a diaper. Keep up the good work!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:23 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• wild guess here, but I'd say he's not ready
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:45 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• My problem isn't that he isn't ready he for sure is. He just doesn't understand that underwear is different from a diaper. When he is naked he will go all the time except for #2 lol He expects a "prize" everytime he goes. So maybe I can come up with something big he would want if he does not go in his underwear.
    BeautyFromPain

Comment by BeautyFromPain (original poster) at 8:59 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• My 2yo is the same way!!! Now he has popped on the potty now 3 times, but he pees as soon as i put a diaper or underwear on, so I late him go nakey. Not sure what to do either!!
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 10:20 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Well atleast I'm not alone sstepph lol
    BeautyFromPain

Comment by BeautyFromPain (original poster) at 10:23 AM on Sep. 16, 2010