Question about Saints and Prayers....

I was raised Catholic although I am not practicing nor do I really consider myself one. My husband was raised a Catholic as well, we were discussing this bracelet that my mother has recently given me. It has all the saints on it. I asked him about it (he knows more about Catholicism than I do) and he told me he doesn't understand this part of the Catholic religion.
If you are not allowed to pray to anyone other than God, than why are there prayers to the Saints, the Virgin Mother, etc? I know if you lose something you pray to Saint Anthony (I think) and so on and so forth. But, isn't that against the First Commandment? Aren't Catholics not supposed to pray to anyone other than their God the Father?

njmommy2boys

Asked by njmommy2boys at 7:37 PM on Oct. 17, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• So praying to/asking for help from those in heaven is the same as asking for help/prayers from people here one earth. Because we ALL -- the saints in heaven and the saints here on earth -- are part of the ONE Body of Christ. This idea is called the "Communion of Saints" and is part of the Nicene Creed (the creed that Catholics and even some Protestant churches profess during services.)
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 9:58 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I'm not catholic but I did go to catholic schools.. so, catholics believe that Mary - the mother of Jesus along with the saints can intercede for us. However, this is against what the bible says. 1) we are not to pray anyone but God and the bible says that Jesus and the Holy Spirit makes intercession for us 2) we are not to pray to the dead. Hope this helps.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 8:25 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• See, that's what I don't understand. There are rules that go against other rules which is why I think I have a problem with religion. Thank you for taking the time to respond.
    Love and Light!
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 8:29 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• There are man made rules and doctrines... but the bible is from God and I just go by that. You asked a good question.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 8:31 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

who wrote the bible? the bible is men made
    Anonymous

• The bible is inspired by God. Yes He used men to put it down on paper but it is not there own thoughts. There are so many things written in the bible that there is no way that men could have came up with it on there own. These are things that can be proven.. however, that's not the original question and it would take up alot of space.. but if you really want me to prove it to you? post it as a question and I will.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 8:48 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• These are things that can be proven..

prove it
    Anonymous

• Seriously, Anon., stop trying to start drama. If you want to answer the original question, answer it. But stop attacking the people that are trying to help the OP out.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 9:06 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Thank you DusterMommy.
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 9:25 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• This response may take a few posts so bear with me.

The word 'pray' means to ask -- it doesn't mean to 'worship'. Worship and pray are two different things. We're to worship only the One True God -- which is what Catholics do. However we can ask (aka 'pray') for others and ask others to pray for us. In fact the bible tells us to do that.

The bible tells us that those in heaven are alive in Christ and so part of that one Body of Christ (Matt. 22:32; Mark 12:27; Luke 20:38). The bible does tell us that those on heaven and on earth are part of one family in Jesus Christ (Eph. 3:14-15). Death does not separate us from that family (Rom. 8:35-39). The bible tells us that we're to pray/intercede for each other (1 Tim 2:1-4; Matt. 5:44-45 and about 30 other places). The bible gives an example of saints offering prayers to God (Rev. 5:8).
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 9:56 PM on Oct. 17, 2008