where did all of the canned pumpkin go?!?!?!?

i only eat pies made from fresh pumpkin, but i make a delicious dip using canned pumpkin (and cream cheese and powdered sugar). i always crave it around this time of year, but i can not find canned pumpkin anywhere! my mom said something about a pumpkin shortage. is this true?

kyriesmommy13

Asked by kyriesmommy13 at 8:35 AM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Food & Drink

• If you cant get the canned pumpkins, you can make you own: A 15 oz. can of pumpkin is equal to 1 3/4 cups of pumpkin puree... * 1 fresh pumpkin, about 4 pounds

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Cut top from pumpkin. Scrape out stringy membranes and seeds. (Reserve seeds to make Toasted Pumpkin Seeds, if desired.)

Cut pumpkin into large pieces and place on a baking sheet. Bake about 45 minutes or until pumpkin is soft. Let cool until you can comfortably handle it.
    Scrape the soft pulp from the skin into a food processor or heavy-duty blender. Discard the skin. Pulse until evenly pureed.
    Add cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and brown sugar to the pumpkin puree. Pumpkin pie spice blend may be substituted for the spices, if you wish...
    Reheat if serving immediately or refrigerate and use within 3 days. The pumpkin puree may be frozen in an airtight container or zip-top bag for 10 to 12 months.
    This is fun to do with the kiddies as well!
    CinnamonScallop

Answer by CinnamonScallop at 11:04 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• The frost is not yet on the pumpkins, but the fall prognosis is.

"It's down, no doubt about it," proclaims Minnesota pumpkin farmer Bud Eisinger.

The 87-years-old has been helping haul in wagon loads of pumpkins at Missy's Farmers Market in Lorreto, where owner Jeff Varney says his 28 acres of pumpkins will yield just half a crop this year.

The problem has been too much moisture, especially during the key month of June.

Some pumpkins rotted in the field.

In other cases, the bees needed for pollination just stayed in their hives.

"They like drier weather," said Varney, who has already been in contact with his crop insurance agent.

Similar problems in Illinois, the center of production for canning pumpkins, could leave pie
    filling in short supply, just like last year.

"It's going to be a marginal season," said Bill Shoemaker, senior research specialist for food crop agri
    sherryb1273

Answer by sherryb1273 at 8:38 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• try difft grocery stores, convenience stores, and smaller markets. When you do find some, buy extra and store them for next year. It keeps
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:37 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I love pumpkin and it's good for you.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:46 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• There was a shortage last year, I hadn't heard about it this year. More will come in - when it does I'd get a few extra cans to be safe.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:38 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I had a really hard time finding canned pumpkin, too. That was a little earlier this summer. I finally found some at a very tiny grocery store--I bought all they had, the whole 4 cans!
    toobigfrogs

Answer by toobigfrogs at 8:49 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I found some in the Organic section at Dillions
    aprilmaydawn

Answer by aprilmaydawn at 8:52 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I just heard about this. Because of the pumpkin shortage last year, this year there is a shortage of canned pumpkin. So if you find it, stock up. My friend heard that people were selling it on Ebay. $14 or more a can!!! LOL!!!

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 9:03 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• There was none at Woodman's in WI last night when I went grocery shopping. There was even a sign apologizing for not having any. I guess I should grab some when I do find it.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:04 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• i found some online. $27 for a case of 12. i might buy it. thanks everyone!!

kyriesmommy13

Comment by kyriesmommy13 (original poster) at 9:06 AM on Sep. 16, 2010