Burqa ban?

Muslim World at Odds Over French Burqa Ban

NICE, France (Sept 15) -- A top cleric at Egypt's most respected mosque broke with many other global Islamic leaders by saying today that he supports France's decision to ban the full face-covering Islamic veil.

Abdel Muti al-Bayyumi, a member of the Al-Azhar mosque council, said there is nothing in Islamic law or the Quran that calls for a full-face veil. The French Senate voted overwhelmingly Tuesday to ban such garments as the burqa, a one-piece garment with a fabric grid before the eyes, and the niqab, a facial veil that leaves only the eyes visible.

Here the best part of the article:

tnmomofive

Asked by tnmomofive at 8:44 AM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Obviously, the men who choose to be Islamic need to RESPECT WOMEN/HUMANS of any religion. They are still stuck in the Caveman Era where men beat the women and drag them around by the hair. I for one would not be with anyone WHO DID NOT RESPECT me as a WOMAN/HUMAN regardless of the religion.

emerald53197

Answer by emerald53197 at 9:19 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I'm glad this went through.  No one should be able to conceal their identity.  I only hope more countries follow Frances example.  All borders were closed yesterday, this must be why.  I wonder why they didn't mention this in the news.

momentofpeace

Answer by momentofpeace at 8:55 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Bmat, because it is cultural not religious.  The Quran says cover "your ornaments"....like your naughty bits and such, according to Islam men are also attracted to hair which I can see, so be it.  Covering the entire face is just ridiculous and dangerous for the rest of us.

momentofpeace

Answer by momentofpeace at 8:57 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I'm glad that it went through. I understand modesty - but the face veil was something devised outside of the mainstream teachings. It's not safe to have people wandering around with no discernible features. These women are already beaten down (as evidenced by the woman's lack of comment), they are easily used for terrorist activities. Two years back a group of women bombed a place in Germany, it was impossible to tell who did it without testing for residue - I don't think the actual bomber was ever caught, I bet she slipped off somewhere (or took off the garment).
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:28 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I am a Muslim and am glad it was banned. Since its not part of the religion like hijab, I see no reason for it to be worn.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:51 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• What would you do if we had Muslims on this board speak up and tell you how wrong you are, how they chose the clothing they wear, how all your conceptions about Islam are wrong?

Would you even believe them?

I doubt it... Your prejudice is too strong. As if you really know better than those who actually follow the faith...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:49 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• "She knew, but she also knew she most likely be beaten to within an inch of her life when they got home if she said how she really felt about wearing that garb. "

As if you have any right to make assumptions like that. Many women actually CHOOSE to wear the garb. You can't sit there and pass that kind of judgment just because you're prejudiced against Islam. You have no idea what she was really thinking or how she really feels.

The way you pervert the faith of Islam is no better than the way that the extremists do.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:19 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• "They are still stuck in the Caveman Era where men beat the women and drag them around by the hair."

This is a false assumption. Not all the men in Islam act like this. Not even the majority do - and those that do do so more from cultural reasons than religious ones. Islam honors women and respects them. The faith was a forerunner in women's rights even when women were second class citizens in the Christian world.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:21 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• "Band obviously it isn't that she just wants to wear the burqa in public else she'd have said so..instead she refered to her husband as if she better not make a sound.. "

Or maybe she didn't want to take the focus off of her husband. There are many reasons it could be.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:45 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I know many many women who find the garb liberating. Who love it. Who wear it even though their husbands aren't as enthused.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:46 AM on Sep. 16, 2010