sick cat wont take medicine

my cat is sick with a uti and has minor kidney failure. he is on liquid medicine however i have not been able to get him to take any when i try to hold his head back he scratches the hell ouuta me and bites. i've tried everything my vet has suggested like putting the medicine on his food but no luck. she said she could give me pills but that would probably be even harder. any suggestions?

malibu79

Asked by malibu79 at 8:46 AM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Pets

• its gross but you kinda have to force it down their throat past the point they can't reject it, hold their mouth closed, and rub the throat, forcing them to swallow.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:48 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• i've tried that over and over but he bites, maybe i should find some gloves he cant bite or scratch threw
    malibu79

Comment by malibu79 (original poster) at 8:50 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• My neighbor has the same problem. She has to grab her cat and hold it by the back of the neck (like a mother cat to her kitten) and put the serenge of medicine to the back of his throat so that it won't spit it out.

Sounds a little rough but she does what she has to for her cat. Some cats are just too stubborn when it comes to medicine.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 8:51 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Whenever I had to give my cats medicine I would kinda swaddle them with a towel like a baby and hold them like that. You have to put the dropper in from the side of the mouth and get past the back of the tongue and squirt it down the throat. Mind you, all this still has to be done quickly, but you will not be scarred for life from cat claws.
    miraclebabymine

Answer by miraclebabymine at 9:09 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Fire wood gloves and long sleeves.... do the towel thing and shove it down her throat. You can also try Pedialite or milk. If she will drink that, then add the medicine or it.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 9:12 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Have you tried hiding it in something and giving it to her?...something safe, of course.
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 10:25 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• When I have to medicate my cats (liquid or pills), I wrap the cat pretty tightly in a towel, get the medicine as far down his throat as possible, hold his mouth shut, and then rub his throat until he swallows. My cat won't fall for medicine added into food.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 11:08 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• we use to put medine in food that we would drizzle tuna water over (you know the cans of tuna fish, we'd drizzle the water over the food to cover the taste, because she LOVED the tuna flavoring over her food).

Or try a cat treat, like pounce to mix in with her food and meds.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 4:11 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Scruff the cat or wrap the cat like a burrito. It is easier if another person scruffs or holds the wrapped cat, but it you have to do it by yourself, make sure that the cats nose is not pointed up and the cat is not on its back. Insert the syringe into the side of the mouth between the cheek and gums and administer the medicine a small amount (2.5- 3 ml) at a time. If the cat is on its back or nose pointing up it can cause them to aspirate some or all of the medication, it is painful and usually not very effective if the cat coughs it out or breathes it in.
    ivy102381

Answer by ivy102381 at 12:45 AM on Sep. 18, 2010