Unripe tomatoes

Does anyone know how to ripen tomatoes that are still on the vine? Its getting too cold here to ripen up. If I pick them, will they ripen or is there something special I need to do?

jdlane1901

Asked by jdlane1901 at 9:09 AM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Home & Garden

• They will ripen on their own if you just leave them on the counter or something. We did that all summer when the squirrels would knock them down while they were ripening. It just takes about a few days longer. Some say you can put them in a paper bag and that will hasten the ripening process, but I tried it and there was no difference.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:12 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Place them on a windowsill or even the kitchen counter. My grandmother puts them on her picnic table outside.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 9:11 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Just eat em!!! Make fried green tomatoes! :) (I don't even like em when there red!)
    Nintendomommy

Answer by Nintendomommy at 11:27 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Just pick them and put them on your window sills, they should ripen. Some put them in a paper bag and they ripen. I've never tried the bag tho.

zbee

Answer by zbee at 9:12 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• If they are in danger of the cold, then pick them and lay them upside down on the counter. They will ripen in a few days.
    miraclebabymine

Answer by miraclebabymine at 9:17 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• If you put them in a brown paper bag.
    skybluemom

Answer by skybluemom at 12:26 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• We always ripen ours on the window sills. Plus they aren't in danger of getting bugs or birds messing with them in the house. They WILL ripen on their own.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 12:45 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• They will ripen after you pick them just won't have the same flavor as one that is picked ripe. You could just batter them and fry them green like we do here in the south.

martat

Answer by martat at 2:07 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Thanks ladies!! I will try it!!
    jdlane1901

Comment by jdlane1901 (original poster) at 11:35 AM on Sep. 17, 2010