pine bedding for small animals

i recently bought pine bedding for my guinea pig (because it was cheaper..i read and it said it was okay as long as the pine wasnt cedar scented) anyways the bedding was only in his cage for 2 days and i can already smell urine strong. Can this be harmful to my family or animals? Is there anything i can use for odor? The paper bedding seemed to work great..and i only changed that every 4-5 days..it didnt smell at all but it was so expensive. Any advice on odor free bedding?

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 9:16 AM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Pets

• Aspen is pretty good. With the wood based bedding, it is better to get the ones that are finely shredded and a good quality. We use the Kaytee brand or something I get from Petsmart. I prefer the paper bedding too, but that stuff is $30+ a bag and with brethren of rodents, it's obviously not feasible. Some suggest to use wool and wash it frequently. but I have never tried it. You are correct in being concerned about the odor. It will cause respiratory problems with your pig if exposed too long to it.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:23 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I believe we used Aspen as well.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:37 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• How about Corn Cob bedding, It's not that soft but they show a Guinea Pig on the lable. I buy it for my Cockatiels cage and he likes to sit at the bottom in it. I don't know how absorbant it is though. Can you shred newspaper & use that? You could put a dog wee wee pad underneath too.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:45 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• i've bought the corn cob bedding and i was reading about guineas and it said its not the safest to use for them because a peice of the cob could get stuck in their genitals or anus or they could mistake it for food and they cannot digest it
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 9:49 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I have a dwarf rabbit and we use the paper based stuff. It works best for us.
    miraclebabymine

Answer by miraclebabymine at 9:52 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Best thing for guinea pigs is to line the bottom of the cage with news paper cover that with a towel and than cover that with a solid piece of fleece. You can vacuum it out once a day and than once or twice a week you wash the towels and fleece and replace the paper. as long as you layer enough paper and towels your house will not smell at the pigges love soft fleece. Add to that your only expence is the cost of a load of laundry (I use the sunday paper I would get any way you can use the free newpapaers from the grocery store) I would never go back.  The start up may be a little bit more costly but if you watch and get your fleece on sale it pays for itself in 2 weeks.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 11:42 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Mom to guinea pig and dwarf rabbit here - both of mine are in a cage outside. I bring them inside only when the weather is too hot or too cold. For the cage, I make sure it is raised (waste falls through the wire bottom) and just use newspaper and change it daily.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:46 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• When I had a guinea pig a few years ago, they did not recommend wire-bottom cages. I think it's hard on their little feet. My best friend just got a piggie and she uses the shredded paper litter.
    lynneb4

Answer by lynneb4 at 1:22 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I use a layer of pine bedding topped with a layer of paper bedding. It makes the paper bedding last longer , keeps the smell down and reduces the amount of pine bedding getting caught in the bum. I have also used home shredded junk mail and paper scraps I would normally recycle in a pinch. Its cheap and if I am using that I change the cage daily. Also using a litter scoop in the morning and evening to take out obviously soiled pine bedding helps with the smell and need to change it as frequently.
    ivy102381

Answer by ivy102381 at 12:31 AM on Sep. 18, 2010