Tooth Brushing?

My son is about a year old and is getting in his 5th and 6th teeth. My pediatrition recommends that this is the time that i begin to brush his teeth. I bought a really tiny elmo toothbrush and some baby toothpaste. How do i teach my child to brush his teeth when he doesn't even know how to use a spoon yet? or is it more of starting the routine of 'brushing' teeth so when he gets older he will have good hygene?

bloomsr

Asked by bloomsr at 8:16 PM on Oct. 17, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• For me, it was a routine thing. I brush my teeth every night before I go to bed, started my son when his first two teeth came in and since he loves doing everthing I love to do, he picked up on it on his own. He even loves to brush my teeth LOL But remember he won't be able to do it as well as you, so I've let my son brush his and then I'll go over his again to make sure they all get brushed!!
    ethan0530

Answer by ethan0530 at 8:43 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• You don't teach him. You hold him down and brush them for him. Over time, he will want to "help" - holding onto the toothbrush with you. As his spoon holding skills advance, you can let him "brush" his teeth and then you brush them... or the other way around. You can also start letting him brush yours before you brush his... that lets him get a little practice and can make him less likely to fight.
    And remember, he needs clean teeth. Many kids have to be sedated at the dentist to have teeth removed at some point in early childhood. Holding his nose to force him to open his mouth is far less cruel than letting his teeth rot out.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:58 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Oh - and everything I've read said that kids need you to check their teeth to make sure they did a good job until 7 or 8. Just because they CAN doesn't mean they WILL.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:59 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• It's just getting him used to doing it, and also having stuff in his mouth for when he goes to the dentist. I brush my dds teeth then let her try once i'm done. she loves to chew on it.
    Anonymous

• we brush in the bath tub. i have a baby toothbrush that goes on my finger. DS knows what it is and opens up. i brush his teeth for him. mostly let him chew on the brush (15 months old and only 2 teeth...i was late too)
    imanixon2

Answer by imanixon2 at 12:17 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• OMG..DONT HOLD THEM DOWN,HE WILL HATE IT!!!With my son he seen us brush our teeth and we would say what we were doing...we got him his own tiny brush and i brushed them for him.soon he learned to hold it and i would brush mine and he copied me(sorta) I think it is a slow learning process,introduce the brush,let him see you brush yours,brush his...etc...good luck!
    by the way be careful with toothpaste,make sure it is made for young babies or even better use water,thats what my pedi said.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:14 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• i brush my teeth and my son will watch and copy... for now just brush the baby toothpaste tastes good... they will like it.. when they get older and brush them selves be sure to get there back teeth... i show my son how to brush the backs and he copys.. he does very good..
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 1:44 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• been brushing the boys teeth since they were about 11months. IN the bath tub bush for them then hand it over let them chew on it so they can try todo it themselfs.
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 2:15 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• at first before one i brushed their teeth for them, but after they turned one we got a nice step stool for them. so they can stand at the sink themselves, i bush their teeth real quick then give them the toothbrush and tell them to brush their teeth. at first they just chewed on them but now they are getting the idea of brushing.
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 2:19 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• omg to the lady who said hold them down! wrong wrong wrong. That shouldn't have to be the last resort ever. Make sure you buy the baby toothpaste. Dr. Bruce told me to use a washcloth for the first couple teeth but when there are more use a finger brush. I don't know if the bath tub will work in your case because I've seen him and his bath tub crazy time lol. But just use the baby tooth paste. They can swallow that stuff safely. just find a quite moment in the day, maybe his baby einstein time lol :D
    darcyk10

Answer by darcyk10 at 2:08 AM on Oct. 21, 2008