Why?

I get that breastfeeding moms are super-proud of it... but why do you need to be bitchy to those of us that dont? It's not that we aren't as good of mothers, or that we don't want the best for our babies. Formula has come a long way, and is also very healthy for babies. Some women simply cannot breastfeed. Some women don't want to. Why does this matter to you so much? Pat yourself on the back and stop bitching at everyone else.
Regardless, this is a personal decision for mothers to make and frankly it's none of your business to criticise!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:18 PM on Oct. 17, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• im a breastfeeding mother and i dont critisize,im the only one in my family to do it,i belive its a personal choice,im not super proud of myself or anything.formula is not crap in a can! i dont understand why people want to judge others for not doing it.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 10:04 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• When i switched from breast to formula i got more flack from women who have never had kids. I was like-okay... everyone plans on breastfeeding, just like everyone wants to have a natural labor and never let their kid watch TV... once reality sinks in things aren't as easy as you think they will be!
    I totally agree with the women looking down on us for using formula, too. Whenever I would mention that we were tight on cash (in a non-chalant way) some of my co-workers (baby-free) would roll their eyes and say that cloth diapers are cheaper and breast milk is free. Puh-Lease!!
    Anonymous

• Yeah, I got a lot of crap for not breastfeeding too....What some people fail to understand is that some of us can't. I tried for weeks and my milk never came in...I was heartbroken and ignorant people who chastize me for not breast feeding only made it worse.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 8:25 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I agree with you. The decision to breastfeed is a very personal one. I have 6 children some of which were breast fed others were not. I had a child born prematurely and so it was suggested to me that it would help her growth if she was breast fed. I also have children who were born lactose intolerant and had to be on formula specially ordered through the pediatrician. There are enough challenges in today's world without us moms attacking one another for personal preference. However you choice to raise your child is your right to make the best decision you think in your childs favor. ( as long as the child is loved and grows up strong and healthy) By the by, my kids are all healthy and thriving and most of them in honors classes for their grade levels. It made no difference if they were boob babies or bottle babies, the love is the same for all of them. That is what I think matters the most.
    mom0f6

Answer by mom0f6 at 8:27 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• After being on this site for a while, I believe some mothers think that someone is going to give them a medal of honor or something for being the best mother. I believe that if you do what you think is best for your child, then that all that matters. No one is out there handing out awards for mother of the year.
    barrettboys

Answer by barrettboys at 8:37 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Yes its every mothers choice and formula has come a long way, BUT that being said its still is and always will be inferior to breastmilk. Formula is my issue not usually the moms that use it. Formula isn't sterile, has been recently recalled in the US for containing metal shards, glass shards, and a virus that killed babies intestines, just to mention a few...oh and this was in the US.

Does this make me a better mom than a FFing mom? Nope, not at all, though it does mean that the food I feed my child is better. Does this mean that my child will be healthier, smarter, etc than a FF child? Not necessarily BUT it gives him a better chance at being healthier. Pick what is right for you, and your child BUT know that breastmilk is what is best and formula can't compare.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 9:06 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I was planning on breastfeeding even before I got pregnant but just like someone said, it doesn't always work out. It took me forever for him to latch on, then he would just cry and scream because there wasn't enough milk. I had blood on both breasts and still my baby was not happy. Another woman asked, "You have to try. Why don't you pump?" How about I pumped for 2 hours and FINALLY got 1 oz? Just 1! Now thats on lucky days, some days I would be lucky to even see more than a drop. Everybody who has a newborn knows you don't have hours to spare just pumping when there isnt enough milk for the baby. I kept trying for 3 wks, and of course he never stopped crying until he fell asleep, and finally he developed colic. I can not let him starve and go through colic at the same time, so formula it is! But come to think of it, although I planned on breastfeeding before, I never looked down on people who bottle-fed.
    sweetvietchic

Answer by sweetvietchic at 9:09 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I was lucky, the girls I was pregnant at work with also had trouble breastfeeding so we were all on formula or suplimenting. But I have noticed soo many people on here exactly like you describe! I felt bad for not trying to breastfeed longer than I did, but then I think that I wasn't breast feed and I turned out fine. Fomula is very healthy now adays, so we shouldn't have to feel bad about it.
    Anonymous

• "After being on this site for a while, I believe some mothers think that someone is going to give them a medal of honor or something for being the best mother. I believe that if you do what you think is best for your child, then that all that matters. No one is out there handing out awards for mother of the year."

My Medal of Honor is my child, and knowing that I have given him the best I possibly can, no matter the scarifice to myself.  

I believe artificial feeding should be reserved for medical situations. For when the risks and benefits have been thoroughly weighed. And there are many risks with atrificial feeding.

Anonymous

• Right, your medal of honor IS your child. BUT... the op is asking why mothers who BF seem to think its okay to bash you if you don't. I have done both. But for some reason mothers who BF seem to think they are better mothers, and don't mind slapping you in the face with their " greatness"

barrettboys

Answer by barrettboys at 10:06 PM on Oct. 17, 2008