Has anyone had extended spotting with the IUD? adult content

I have been spotting since a week after my period last month. I went to my doctor and he set me up to go for a sonogram but he gave me a prescription and told me to take it after my period. Two issues are 1) that medication has lots of side effects so im nervous
2) I have been spotting for a month how will I know what my PD will be

Nycutie2707

Asked by Nycutie2707 at 10:00 AM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Health

• When did you get the IUD? I spotted for 12 weeks straight after the IUD was put in. I have had my IUD for 4 years now and every now and then I will get some brownish spotting for no reason at all. it can last a day or maybe 2-3. Nothing to worry about. I haven't had a period in 4 years. The spotting can occur once every 3 months, or not for another 9 months. There is no real time table for it. It just happens out of the blue. Usually if i'm under a lot of stress.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 10:04 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I have the copper IUD and I have the opposite problem. Instead of spotting, I usually have a flow like a period ... constantly. There are only about three or four days a month I'm not bleeding or spotting. I thought my body just needed time to adjust to the IUD but I've had it for three years now.
    zava_t

Answer by zava_t at 10:10 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I have had the copper IUD for a little over a year. I have gotten heavier periods with it well 3 days of very heavy bleeding and then some lighter bleeding. Last month was the same then a week later I woke up bleeding and have been spotting since
    Nycutie2707

Comment by Nycutie2707 (original poster) at 10:16 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I spotted for 9 months after I had my IUD put in. About 2-3 weeks out of each month. So yeah, it can happen.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 3:44 PM on Sep. 16, 2010