Porn in Public

I don't know if this is the right section but I want to get other mom's opinions. My husband and I took our girls to the mall tonight and we stopped in Fye's (they sell music and movies) , they are now selling porn. I don't have a problem with someone watching it if that's their thing but it was right out where kids can get their hands on it. I complained to the manager and basically got told well they have to have I.D to buy it so what's the big deal. Am I wrong in thinking that the mall is the wrong place to sell this?

sammiesmom2000

Asked by sammiesmom2000 at 8:22 PM on Oct. 17, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yeah....I would have a problem if it were right there in plain sight for children to see. If FYE wants to sell porn - fine, great, whatever - but it should still be in a special out-of-sight section. And that manager sounded like a dick!
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 8:34 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Yes.. and I believe there are laws about how porn can be displayed when it is being sold someplace that is not specifically an adult store (like in an area for 18 and over). I would check your local laws on it.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 8:27 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Isn't it supposed to be hidden? Like in a special room or behind the counter and hidden so the pictures can't be seen? I would complain to the mall management, not just the store manager. I'd be pretty upset too.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 8:30 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Mall management is supposed to be calling me on Monday. They have it covered by a thin plastic brown cover with a picture of the playboy bunny on it, like that's doing to be a deterent.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:32 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• So...its playboy? Or is it actual porn? Because there is a difference.

One is a socially acceptable company whose clothes are sold at the mall, models have their own TV shows, and magazines get sold at gas stations...and the other is something that generally has to be sold at the store for grown-ups...
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 8:40 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I would be furious to see that visible to my kids. I still remember when I was a kid and my dad was watching porn when I had gone to bed. I came out of my room and saw it, I don't think he knew I did and I never told him, but it's an image that is burned into my brain even today. It's not something I give my kids a chance to see and don't want them to see.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 8:57 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• honestly even the supermarket is supposed to have covers on the magazines with inappropriate content on the front(cosmopolitan, etc.) and if they don't you can complain. Its bull you can't even walk through a mall or checkout at the market without being exposed to it, and its one thing as adults to have to be subjected to it but why subject our children to it.
    jojo13

Answer by jojo13 at 9:02 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• You know I think the gigantic posters of the women in Victoria's Secret are pretty provocative -- and a LOT more pronounced then a cover of a dvd. I am a little surprised they don't have to put it off in a corner or separate room? Just thinking back to the days when Blockbuster had that "Adult ONLY" room...
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 9:11 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• They sell porn at my mall too. But the whole section has big black cases over the individual movies so you can't see anything but the title. It's kinda sick. They have special stores for that. Mall is sort of a family place to me.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 9:27 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I know there is one store in our mall that is "18 and over". That's fine. There is a sign right out front that some of its contents may be unsuitable for children. And we don't go in there. But FYI, as far as I know, is a family store. And if they're going to sell porn, that's fine, but they need to make sure it's NOT visible to the kids AT ALL. So yes, I would be very upset over that, too.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 9:46 PM on Oct. 17, 2008