How can we make homework fun and interesting

For my 8 year old, it's always a hassle or a struggle to get her to do her homework. Do any of the moms out there have any ideas for me to make homework more fun her such as math, reading, etc.

cicley

Asked by cicley at 10:12 AM on Sep. 16, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I don't know if you can always do that.... but, a teacher can with the type of assignments.... for example my daughter had a teacher that the home work was to say the alphabet while jumping rope (that was kindergarden) Then both my kids had a teacher that one of her assignments was to make up their own word search with the spelling words (that was second grade)
    tekabaymom

Answer by tekabaymom at 10:16 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I don't know about fun and interesting, but we make it a routine. When they come in the door, they have a snack, and sit down to do homework. No TV, playing, anything until it's done. Homework takes priority over everything. If we have somewhere to go, it has to be done first. I don't compromise because I want them to realize how important it is.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:19 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Think of activities/games to make the assignment fun. Depending on what it is. Perhaps use her favorite foods when doing math...
    tiger_tatted1

Answer by tiger_tatted1 at 10:19 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• How about setting a timer for things so she can tell that homework does end? We always set a timer for our son's 20 minutes of reading. It makes him feel like even though he has to do it, it won't take quite as long as he thinks. And we do the same for his multiplication flash cards, but those are only for ten minutes. Also, if I'm making him write his spelling words, I try to give him example sentences of the words with some crazy, funny sentence, like if the word is "campaign", I would say something like, "Christian's student council campaign stood for more recess and homework for teachers instead of his fellow classmates." It just helps him feel like this is less school at home and just a little more fun.
    zava_t

Answer by zava_t at 10:20 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• get some cheap dollar store "rewards" like stickers or markers, whatever she likes, and reward her at the end of the week for doing all her homework. or give her an allowance each week/month for doing all her homework and getting good grades.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 10:26 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• stickers, games, special snacks
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 1:07 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I'm not sure we should. "Fun" should come after the work is done ... fun is one reward for having accomplished one's work. Other rewards include good grades, good self confidence, good self-esteem, feelings of pride and accomplishment. Those things naturally come from hard work. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with allowing a child to learn/experience this.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 1:40 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Setting a timer is a good idea, it shows them when they will get to be done! I had my kids each make a 'homework bucket' (they used a shoe box) and put in special pencils, erasers, colored pencils, rules, etc. Also, I let them have a break before they sit down to do it, they just spent 7 hours in school. They get out at 3, we do homework at about 4:15, after coming home and having a snack. We all sit down together, (I have homework too), if you don't have homework you can just do a crossword puzzle or read a book.
    To encourage my younger one to read, we let her take turns reading to us, to our dog, to her brother, and to her stuffed animals. A sticker chart might help too, once she fills it up she can get a special reward.
    TJandKarasMom

Answer by TJandKarasMom at 1:44 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Everyone, thank you, thank you, thank you. :) these are all very good ideas and I like them. I know I got some good ideas here and will put them to good use. all your answers and advice are good ones. thanks for the help.
    cicley

Comment by cicley (original poster) at 8:45 PM on Sep. 16, 2010