Are people from large families more easy going?

I was talking to a co-worker who is from a large family and she said that if she didn't get along with a sibling, there was always someone else to talk to. Mom never had enough time for everyone, so there was no resentment, everyone did their part and loved it when they did get her focus. Another friend of mine said that most feelings of dissatisfaction and mental illnesses come from isolation.

What do you think?

mellonhead

Asked by mellonhead at 10:21 AM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Relationships

• I don't think it's necessarily true. I know some very easy going people from small families and some very high strung people from large families, as well as vice versa. I actually know one very easy going person and one very high strung person from the same large family (with the rest of the sibs somewhere in the middle). I think there is a lot more to it than that.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:46 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• True in some cases, not true in others. Generalizations are seldom true for all.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 1:53 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• It depends on the individual. Ask any mother of 2 or more - children are born with different personalities and different character traits.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 7:45 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• You're looking at one specific situation and attempting to use that single example to generalize "people from large families". And you're taking a fact regarding persons who are predisposed to mental illness and attempting to use it to generalize about people who are not from large families. Any conclusion you draw will be invalid.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 10:47 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• @Dancer, I don't think it's 100% wrong. A lot of people are predisposed to mental illness and it is things like isolation and dissatisfaction that can trigger it. Not to say that it's a cause, but I definitely believe that it contributes to the problem for people that are already at risk.
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 10:28 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I'm the youngest of 8 kids and I am very easy going but a few of my siblings are pretty uptight.
    I think it depends on the individual and can't be generalized like that.
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 7:53 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• We all get along but we also learn how to fight constructively since an all out fight always ends bad in a large family.

I'd say you have more opportunities to grow within a large family since you have greater exposure.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:23 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Where does this person get her information from about isolation and mental illnesses????? She is 100% wrong!!!! Tell her to stop giving false information!!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:24 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I think it's more about HOW a child was raised than about how many siblings they have.
    zava_t

Answer by zava_t at 10:25 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I disagree. My mom and my dad both came from families with 9 kids. A few on my dad's side are easy going, none on my mom's dad's side are. I am an only child and I am as easy going and laid back as you will find, same with my BF, his sister is older and he was practically an only. He is laid back and easy going.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:25 AM on Sep. 16, 2010