How do I get more Veggies into my Kids and Hubby?

Nycutie2707

Asked by Nycutie2707 at 10:35 AM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Health

• Take away other food options.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:37 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I hide mine in mine in meals. I put veggies in hamburgers, meatloaf, hot dish, lasagna, spaghetti. I will grate them and mix them in.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 10:37 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Get ideas from watching Rachel Ray. She had an awesome idea on that yesterday.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 10:38 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I throw veggies into everything. If we have pasta with alfredo sauce, I throw in some steamed broccoli. If I make meatloaf I dice onions, and green bell peppers into the meat before I bake it. With scrambled eggs, I throw in a little frozen spinach and you can't even really taste it. For our son, I toss a little shredded cheese into the eggs and spinach and he can't even taste the spinach, although he's a little suspicious of anything green .... LOL

zava_t

Answer by zava_t at 10:39 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• V8 Splash
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:41 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Stop with the hiding veggies, they can't have "hidden" veggies on demand wherever they go forever. Teach them to eat them and like them. The more you offer veggies as the meal and MAKE them have a bite or two, the more they will get accustom to it and learn to eat it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:44 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Hiding them in other things works great. There are some websites and a book that give you tons of recipes to make where you can't taste the veggies at all. Food Network's website has some veggie hiding recipes.
    miraclebabymine

Answer by miraclebabymine at 10:45 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• You can "trick" them by disguising veggies as "real" food. Try making a vegetable soup or pureeing vegetables into sauces. Chop stuff up real small so it breaks down as you cook it and perhaps add a little bit of smoked sausage. Greenbean casserole, Veggie pizza...yum! Beans and rice...love it! My sd says she hates vegetables but dh and I eat a lot of them. I know for a fact she loves greenbeans, okra and any kind of dry bean cooked up right, so I try to serve the stuff she does like.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 10:45 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Keep trying. It took years for my kids to try some foods. I keep preparing it, DH and I eat them and if they want, they can too.

Raw carrots are truly the easiest thing in the world to get kids to eat. They are crunchy and when fresh, very sweet. If you eat veggies, they will start eating them eventually. You are their biggest influence.

Sometimes I even tell them that it's mine and they can't have it because I don't want to have to share with them. It makes them want to try it! It's very silly. I am bummed that my son will eat us out of all of the fruit in the house, but that's a growing boy.
    mellonhead

Answer by mellonhead at 10:49 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• How to get your hubs to eat more veggies... well, he is a grown man and should be doing that for himself. Make sure that you are making a salad or veggie with every meal or as a main dish. Adding cheese is not the healthiest, but if you add a little cheese to a most people will eat it. I will sprinkle a little fresh grated parmasean over zuccini, broccoli or asparagus. Look on-line for some creative veggie dishes.

Personally we love veggies in our house. The fresher the better everything tastes. The kids don't have a choice. They have to eat their veggies. We don't hide it. Kids have to try things several times before they will know if they like it. My pickest eater has cried over her veggies many times, but she knows she has to eat them. And there are some that she is starting to like now.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 11:54 AM on Sep. 16, 2010