Why is it that when someone asks about foods other than baby food in jars to feed a kid...someone will always suggest "Corn, mac and cheese, lunch meat, hot dogs and mashed potatoes" ?

These should be foods they get either way older and very limited. Why not suggest Avocados, sweet potatoes, bananas....?

And why when there is a mom that complains that her kid won't eat much variety...does the kid always seem to like pizza, mac and cheese, nuggets, hot dogs?

Why are little kids getting this kind of food?

BradenIsMySon

Asked by BradenIsMySon at 10:37 AM on Sep. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• Don't ask me. Every time I answer "Feed them veggies" I get labeled as being a food nazi. Ugh...
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:40 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• it's quick, easy and supposedly cheap....people don't realize that it's cheaper to make a healthy meal at home. It's sometimes more expensive to get the ingredients, yes, but in the long run, it's still cheaper to cook at home than to get take out or fast food...and it's TONS better for the whole family.
    DereksBabyMomma

Answer by DereksBabyMomma at 10:41 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Maybe it has something to do with the kinds of food they were fed as kids. Most of us tend to parent in the image of our parents.
    zava_t

Answer by zava_t at 10:42 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• @ObbyDobbie:LOL..I know. I would feel bad to just sit lunch meat or nuggets and corn and mashed potatoes in front of my kid. I cringed when the daycare I worked at served spaghetti, corn and mac and cheese as a meal. I mean really? Their idea of veggies was canned green beans.
    BradenIsMySon

Comment by BradenIsMySon (original poster) at 10:42 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• because its more 'convenient'...or that's their reasoning. i find steamed veggies to be very convenient; actually, moreso. some people just have poor nutritional standards for themselves and their kids.
    i'm not saying you can't give ^those items^ to your kids occasionally, you won't doom them if you do. but there needs to be a balance of 'real' food, over the junk.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:43 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I agree. Mine has had them, but, not ever dang meal like some people I've seen.

BradenIsMySon

Comment by BradenIsMySon (original poster) at 10:45 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• CUS THEY ARENT ANY DISH OPTIONS !

if u look around is always , hot dogs , hamburgers or cheeseburgers , hot dogs , bagels or waffles !

idk why ,

so they r still limited wheather is baby food or table food !
    happymom1988

Answer by happymom1988 at 10:45 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• And this whole "hide" the veggies is killing me too. Teach them to eat and like them, don't trick them into it. They can't have "hidden" veggies provided to them forever.
    BradenIsMySon

Comment by BradenIsMySon (original poster) at 10:46 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I think an awful lot of adults have diets very dependent on processed convenience foods, so for kids, they think of the "kid" versions of what they eat. Plus there's this cultural myth that kids don't like anything but this crap.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 10:47 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I actually do veggies that have been run through the juicer. It is healthy, whole, and doesn't have any of the nasty added chemicals.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 10:47 AM on Sep. 16, 2010