How long is it normal to have bleeding after a cervical exam?

I had my cervix checked yesterday for dilation(36 weeks, 4 days) and started having spotting that afternoon. This is my third and I've never had spotting before after a check but I know some women do. I also ended up with back pain, stomach pain and some contractions last night. Those are all gone as of now but I'm still having the spotting. Enough to need to wear a pad so it doesn't get on my underwear and then it's also there every time I wipe. Not bright red. More blood mixed in with my discharge you know? Anyways just wondering how long it's normal to do this?

BlessedMommyNE

Asked by BlessedMommyNE at 11:08 AM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Call the doctor and ask. Each woman is different.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:11 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I never had that so I don't know. I would def call the Dr and check
    jdlane1901

Answer by jdlane1901 at 11:12 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Call your doc to be sure but I would spot after mine.
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 11:14 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• sounds like the doc tried to massage the cervix to soften it more call the doc u shouldnt be bleeding for more then a day
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 11:15 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Thanks ladies, she just did a quick check. No sweeping the membranes...too early. I think I'm going to see what happens this afternoon and give them a call if I'm still having the spotting.
    BlessedMommyNE

Comment by BlessedMommyNE (original poster) at 11:39 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• i spotted for almost three days after. a couple of times she has checked its been that way. but now it doesnt happen anymore.
    mauricellaf

Answer by mauricellaf at 11:49 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Wow 3 days?
    BlessedMommyNE

Comment by BlessedMommyNE (original poster) at 11:54 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• It is very common to have spotting in the last trimester after cervical checks. I wouldn't worry about it unless it was actual bleeding or there were other problems.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:16 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Yes ma'am. my doctor told me not to worry about it unless it was heavy, a weird color, or had a weird smell. she also told me that if i bled through two pads in an hour then call her.
    mauricellaf

Answer by mauricellaf at 12:24 PM on Sep. 16, 2010