is it safe to go from breastmilk to formule then back to breastmilk

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Safe? Certainly. You may need to pump during the interruption to keep your supply up.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 11:19 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Yes but you may notice tummy upset periodically from the additives in formula that a breastfed baby isn't used to.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:27 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Sure, I did that. I breast/formula fed our little girl. After 4 mos I just formula fed her. I felt bad and decided to go back to breastfeeding. You should fine!!
    qustnmrk28

Answer by qustnmrk28 at 11:29 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Milk production is dependent on how much milk is removed and how often the baby feeds. The more the baby nurses the more milk that is produced.

If you feed your baby formula then you may not not produce as much milk because you will be nursing less often.

This sometimes shuts down the milk supply but you can build it back up again by frequent nursings - however, you have to work at it.
    so_organized

Answer by so_organized at 11:36 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Yep, that's the way I fed both of my babies for 3 months with one and 7 with the other. I gave them formula because there wasn't enough breastmilk no matter what I did. For every feeding I would nurse them and they would get all of the breastmilk that was there and then I gave them some formula. This was under direction from the pediatrician after baby became dehydrated and was losing weight from not getting enough breastmilk.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 11:42 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Define safe. For baby? Likely yes, though some babies will have rather loud and sometimes messy objections (ie, vomiting). Some babies will refuse the breast after getting the bottle. For your supply? Every bottle deprives your body of the "make milk" signal, so it's not an advisable habit to get into .

Answer by gdiamante at 3:00 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Safe to go to breastmilk.. absolutely. Safe to go to formula.. not so much.
    catholicmamamia

Answer by catholicmamamia at 5:44 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• It it safe. My daughter Gastroatrologist told me it was alright to feed both to her. I had to because I never produced enough to sustain her :( Breast milk is better, provides more for the baby so if possible breastfeed as much as you can. But if you have to, feed breast first then formula, that way the baby gets some of that important breast milk. The bottle I used that helped my baby not get nipple confusion, is the Tommee Tippiee one, we still use it and it is great. My favorite out of avent and playtec. Pumping is important, and putting your baby on your breast before feeding bottle for nutrition, bonding, and it stimulates your breast. Hope this helps some!
    ZammiesMommy

Answer by ZammiesMommy at 6:15 PM on Sep. 17, 2010