Why do so many people think just because your low-income you need to "look poor"

We are very low income family, $21,000 a year and family of 5 and yet I would say we dont look it in public, I mean what is so wrong with a poor person taking a shower, washing their hair, and their bodys and being clean? and as far as that goes simple make up is fairly cheap and last a really long time I spend maybe $10-$15 a year on makeup and usually that is from birthday money givin to me by my family, also we spend about $10 a month on deoderant/razors.... and my kids nor my husband and I would never wear staind clothes out in public, we dont spend alot of money on clothes but we take care of what we do have, so why cant poor people on foodstamps/medacaid ect. look kept without people judging them by saying they are abusing the system?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• When I was growing up, we were very poor. We never left the house looking or smelling dirty - just because you don't have much doesn't mean you shouldn't have pride in your appearance. As you pointed out, it doesn't take much to keep yourself clean. Some people are just ignorant.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:38 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• i agree we are low income but we don't look it.
    luvsgriffin

Answer by luvsgriffin at 11:40 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I think those mamas are more so speaking of the ones sporting Gucci bags ..bling bling..and driving luxery/souped up vehicles..and such..not because they have a clean pair of jeans or t shirt on..
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:40 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• i guess thats just the way they are raised the cycle never ends, i am low income as well about 25,000 w5ppl as well n i dnt look it, even if i haveto shop at thrift stores i can still make my family look decent, now my friend on the other hand, cnt even brush her dd hair, on her dd birthday she had her wear a dirty white shirt, the little girl was barefoot, i was like wtf??n her mother is the same way, Growing up my mother was a single parent n would always get compliments because she always had her 6kids looking so good.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 11:41 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• lol sorry this one made me giggle. They don't mean you should look like your sleeping in a pile of garbage. Most are talking about sporting $100 jeans, Coach bags, driving a Cadilliac and using an iPhone. lol
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 11:41 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• "I think those mamas are more so speaking of the ones sporting Gucci bags ..bling bling..and driving luxery/souped up vehicles..and such..not because they have a clean pair of jeans or t shirt on.."

I have seen my share of that, and then What?!? your pulling a food stamp card out of that Gucci bag? LOL
    sarahdicksonjr

Answer by sarahdicksonjr at 11:42 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I totally agree with you. There is nothing wrong with being clean looking presentable...taking pride. What gets me is when they tell me they are on public assistance and they walk away with gold teeth..expensive tattoos....smoking expensive cigarettes...wearing Gucci and Armani!

i have seen this too....wrong!!!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 11:44 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I think that an unkempt person would be unkempt reguardless of money. That is a personality trait not a sign of income.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 11:45 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• gold teeth LOL seeing that always tripped me out..I don't get the facination
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:46 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• As much as I agree with you, I think other people react that way because, let's face it, there are way too many out there that are abusing the system. Every day, I leave my house, I see people out and about, whole families, families I know who are on welfare. The parents are decked out in the most up to date styles, including tennis shoes. The kids look like crap. Or, alternatively they are all decked out. It's still abuse of the system. You have money for clothes and styles, but not food, nor can you work? So, how are they getting the clothing and shoes? Loans??

What you are stating is fine. You are doing the right thing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Sep. 16, 2010