If you've had your membranes stripped...

On a scale of 0-10 (10 being the greatest pain)...how painful was it?
How do they do it?
And...did it work for you?

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 11:38 AM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Pregnancy

• On a scale of 0-10 (10 being the greatest pain)...how painful was it? 1
    How do they do it? the sweep their fingers across the cervix
    And...did it work for you? yes i had her the next morning
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 5:19 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Well, I had kidney stones twice my 2nd trimester, so it wasn't nearly as bad as that. I'd say maybe a 5 or 6. They just go in with a gloved finger and kind of force their way through the cervix if it's soft enough, then rub the membranes. Definitely not fun, but not totally horrible. Didn't work though, so it was kind of a waste.
    StarGirlD

Answer by StarGirlD at 11:41 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• It absolutely worked! Of course the last 3 weeks of my check ups every time I'd go in she would say, "Oh this baby is coming any day now." So on my last check up I finally said, "Ok, you can 'strip my membrane'." It hurts a little bit and only while she is in there... If you know what I'm sayin.. :)

So right after that, I got dressed, went home (which is about 7 minutes from my doctor's office) and the first thing I told my husband was: "Ok, this might be in my head, but I'm having pretty intense contractions..."

8 hours later our second daughter was born!
    Biz1985

Answer by Biz1985 at 11:47 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• they strpped mine when they broke my water it didnt hurt me what hurt was when it took the 45 min to get the epiduial in
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 11:48 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I had it done twice with my oldest. It was uncomfortable but not painful. It didn't work though.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:10 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• What do you mean by "How did they do it?" Do you mean, how do they strip your membranes? They put fingers in your cervix, and run them between your cervix and the amniotic sac.
    My cervix wasn't open enough for a strip, but he did do a "rough exam," and I went into labor about 3 days later. Not sure if there was a relationship there. It was pretty painful, still.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:54 PM on Sep. 16, 2010