Children of different religion

How will/did you feel if/when your child(ren) convert/ed to a different religion?

Dr.Donna

Asked by Dr.Donna at 11:44 AM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I wouldn't care one bit as long as they found something that was right for them. All of my brothers are a different religion. One is actually Buddist. My dad could care less as long as we found the right path for ourselves. My had is Pentecostal.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 11:46 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Once they are able to understand the implications, it is their conscious decision to make. I refuse to "Support" it, but I will not stand in their way either. I can only hope that they will see logic and reason as their driving force, understanding and human empathy as their compass, and stand firm with their integrity as the cornerstone of their foundation... No one needs a religion to do so.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:53 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I don't believe I would mind that much, and I'd try to support them.

Sparrow4

Answer by Sparrow4 at 11:58 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• As long it's not one that encourages them to hate I couldn't care less. I'll even help them research it. I'm not worried about them falling into a religion or path that teaches hate though becasue those kinds of behaviors typically start at home and my home is all about love, understanding, acceptance, and empathy.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:00 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I woulden't mind one bit. Whatever gives my child peace within himself is what I want for him
    Jacqui410

Answer by Jacqui410 at 12:40 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• My child did choose a different religion than the one I was raised in..

I was raised Hindu.. However, at this point and time in life I do not practice/follow/adhere to any one single religion.

My son (who is 18) chose to follow the Sikh path like his father and his family.

And I'm good with that. My son is his own person, with his own life experiences, own thoughts, own feelings..etc.. It would be ridiculous of me to expect him to share the same religious views/beliefs that I do, just because he's my son.. I believe each individuals beliefs are formed by their own experiences in life, their own views, their own way of thinking. So , I'm very proud of my son for choosing the path that he wanted, the one that fit him, the one that called to him.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 12:46 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Sad ... I'd pray that God would change their hearts and bring them back to Him.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 12:59 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I'm raising my son to find his own path. I just want him to be compassionate and respectful of all people, and to understand all his options before he makes his choice.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:14 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I would support them and love them, I'm sure there would be a few exceptions if they decided on something that was hurtful to themselves or others but that would be a a small minority belief system.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 1:27 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Not only would I support them, I would encourage them. My children are being exposed to a great number of beliefs and traditions in an effort to encourage them to find their own path in life... Religion & Spirituality are very personal things and are not something which should be chosen FOR someone.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:05 PM on Sep. 16, 2010