When do you put away the summer clothes?

I have begun to sort through the clothes and decide upon what is needed for the next season. The weather here is already beginning to cool down. I haven't put the summer clothes away quite yet, but I am starting to find the long sleeved clothes are needed at night now since it is getting cooler. I think in another couple of weeks it will be back to long sleeved clothing for sure.

CafeMochaMom1

Asked by CafeMochaMom1 at 12:04 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I just did last week. It is usually when we go a couple of weeks without any sign of warmth. Then if it gets warm the kids can wear some short sleeves with pants. I have to so that I can make room for the winter clothes.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:05 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• It's still in the 80's here so until it stays in the lower 70's i'm not putting them away
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 12:05 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I put them away when it starts getting really cold.
    DeansMother

Answer by DeansMother at 12:05 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• When my kids were younger, then i would put them out of site.. Other wise they would try to wear shorts in the cold weather and then an hour arguing with them its not going to happen.. But now i put them away to make room for the fall and winter clothes that i had also put away in the spring.
    Airforce3mom

Answer by Airforce3mom at 12:06 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I actually keep all my summer clothing in my drawers and in my closet year round. I keep my whole wardrobe in place. The only time I put things away is when I'm re-organizing and getting rid of things to give away to good will.

My kids on the other hand, I already put away 75% of their summer clothes. But I do this because they grow out of them and won't fit into them next year. So there's no sense to keep them in the drawers or closets ;-)
    jacksmom3707

Answer by jacksmom3707 at 12:06 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I think it depends where you live. I live in the North East, and it is getting colder but occassionally we have a summer-like week pop up out of nowhere before fall is official. I have started to sort through our summer things, but I probably wont put them away until the second week in October or so.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 12:07 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• It was such a hot summer I was hoping we would still be wearing our summer clothes by now, but it seems to have really cooled off. I packed away most shorts a week ago. I'll probably leave short sleeved shirts out, but I'm not sure how much longer we will use them, maybe another month or so. I live in Michigan by the way.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 12:08 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I love this question! I live in Los Angeles, so I never put away my summer clothes. I do put away my "winter" clothes in March, and pull them back out around October......but even in the winter here it may be 60 degrees (yes, I know this isn't REAL winter weather but here it is) one day, and 80 degrees the next.

Now the reason I find this so amusing, is that we lived in Wyoming for 6 years, and the first year there I learned it's just the opposite. I put all my winter clothes away FINALLY, in May. We were sitting at a baseball game in June and it started snowing....I of course had no warm clothes. In July and August it was often in the 30's and 40's at night.

So in Los Angeles, I never put away my summer clothes......but in Wyoming I learned to never put away my winter clothes!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:13 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I actually have this on my to-do list. I HATE this job!!! Its good, cause I purge alot of clothes and donate them, but it will take me a while to get it done completely, in the meantime I'll be walking around bins in all the bedrooms. Sigh. Its getting chilly at night here now... its definitely transition time. And you know the second I get it all done we'll have an Indian summer and it'll be 90 degrees again. Ha.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:22 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I started yesterday. I put away all but my favorite couple of hot weather outfits, and brought out my more favored fall stuff. I'll swap the rest around in about a month, when the chance of a hot day is zero.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 12:42 PM on Sep. 16, 2010