Neighbor lost her teen daughter a few days ago and when I saw her all she said, "my last words were don't forget to put out the garbage when you get home..." She said I didn't hug her or kiss her or tell her I loved her. This made me start to think about how precious our children are...and...

I thought of all of you MOMS who are on here. Do you remember what was the last thing you said to your child was? Did you hug them? Did you say, "I love you"? I know it happens every day in this country, teens killed in accidents that don't make any sense. In case you are wondering, the police report said the man ( a Doctor) who hit her when she had the right of way was checking his cell phone messages and run the red light.
I know this has been a huge wake up call for me. Not about the cell use, because I don't do this because I think it is stupid and dangerous....but, thinking about all the things I don't say and should say. I hugged my kid this morning and I told him I loved him. Also, I have made myself a promise to sit down with him every morning no matter how busy we are. We do the weekend family time, but somewhere along the line we lose touch due to our schedules during the week. Well, no more!!

JOCKEYP2PMOM

Asked by JOCKEYP2PMOM at 12:15 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Relationships

• I so agree with everything you are saying. I treat everyone I love like it could be the last day I see them, because it very well could be. For all I know, it could my last day on earth myself. That is why I treasure and cherish every single moment with my son. When you think of what truly matters, a lot of things come into perspective. Thanks for posting, and my prayers are with your neighbor.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:38 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• It doesn't matter what the last thing you said to your child was. It's the overall care, love, attention, (etc) that they recieve that has the effect on a child. I can say "I love you" a million times before they go to sleep or leave for school, but if I don't follow through with affection and attention those words mean absolutely nothing. Every night (or at nap time) before I turn out the light I say "Goodnight, Mommy and Daddy love you." But those words don't mean much if I ignored my children or showed them aggression/negativity throughout the day. That's why I know that my children will always know I love them, because of the affection and attention I give to them. I have no doubt that my kids will feel like I am truely there for them.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:35 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Every time my children leave to go to school, daycare, anywhere,.. I give them a kiss and hug and say I love you..bye. Before bed, I kiss them and say I love you..see you tomorrow. I make my kids very aware that I love than more than anything.♥
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:18 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I said, "Bye, I love you" ...we always do. Even just sitting and watching TV, one of us will just say it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:16 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Bump! This deserves bumps!
    LovingSAHMommy

• My last words...dont eat the peanut butter out of the jar. That was two seconds ago. But I do understand that every moment is precious.
    conweis

Answer by conweis at 1:16 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I always tell them 'I love you, have a good day' when they leave for the bus stop. And I sit outside and watch them until they get on the bus. Otherwise, I worry all day that something bad may have happened. Even though we get a phone call if they didn't get to school. Well, we are supposed to, I didn't get one today, when I had my son. But, we do say 'I love you' before we go to bed at night, and give hugs (the kids' feeling are hurt if I don't) and before we leave for work and school. It doesn't feel right if we don't. Also before we get off the phone.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 2:51 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Ah, I feel for your neighbor, and her entire family. For you, too, as you knew her. This is horrible, I can't imagine.
    My sister lost her son as a baby, it's a horrible thing to lose a child.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 2:52 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I give my kids a hug and kiss everyday & tell them I love them
    no1coachmom

Answer by no1coachmom at 3:13 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I lost my best friend in 2005 and that was a lesson in the last thing you say to someone could be the last thing you say. But my family from my childhood on have always said I love you, and I make sure my children know it.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 10:57 PM on Sep. 16, 2010