Does it really take 2 weeks to get used to glasses?

This is the 3rd time over the past 6 years that I have gone in and gotten a prescription for glasses. Everytime I give up and quit wearing them, they never seem right and I feel like I can see better without them. The problem is my left eye really needs them, but my right eye doesn't. The first glasses I had distorted everything. So I was trying to explain this at my recent appointment and the doctor decided I should try progressive lenses. So I've had them for a week and I can't stand them. I feel like it's worse now than it was the first day. I can't get used to only looking through the top so everything is blurry all the time. I feel like my eyes are tired and they can't relax until I take the glasses off. Is that normal? I'm only 29, I don't need reading glasses. I think it's so stupid that they gave me these. They said to try them for 2 weeks but I'm giving up already. Is another week of torture really going to change it?

mybella81

Asked by mybella81 at 12:16 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Health

• I always knew within a few hours. If it takes longer than that, they aren't right
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:20 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I think I might try a new doctor. It can take a little time to adjust, but it shouldn't be that bad. My husband just got new glasses. He needs reading glasses so he likes progressive lenses, but I don't know why they would give them to you if you don't need the reading glasses. Anyway, he got his new pair of glasses and had all kinds of problems. I was afraid he was going to get seriously injured. I finally got him to go back to the doctor. They checked the glasses and one of the measurements was off, causing headaches, I strain, and distortion. They got him a new pair, it took a couple of days, but now he's adjusted to them.

I'd go back, or go to a new doctor. Good Luck!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:24 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• It never took me two weeks to adjust to a ner perscription or pair of glasses. It took me at the most a couple of days to adjust to new frames if I got then, but my eyes adjusted to the new perscription immediately. It sounds like your doctor is miss diagnosing your eyes. I would suggest going and getting a second opinion and seeing if another doctor can better diagnos your eyes.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:32 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I would be getting a new doctor. It shouldn't take that long to adjust. Mine were like the ladies above me, took a few hours, a day or 2 at the most.
    Mipsy

Answer by Mipsy at 2:03 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• It also could be where the frames sit on the bridge of your nose that is disconcerting to you. Frankly, I love glasses (after wearing contacts for many years).
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:06 PM on Sep. 16, 2010