Record level poverty?

The number of people in poverty rose to the highest level on record in 2009, the Census Bureau reported Thursday, pegging the U.S. poverty rate at 14.3 percent.

How's that hope and change?

tnmomofive

Asked by tnmomofive at 12:19 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Well, pixie_trix, I guess my biggest disappointment is with all of the pipedreams politicians spout off during their campaigns. When are we going to get an admin. who will 'keep it real'? A bunch of promises made, that can't be executed, boils my blood. I hope our next group on Capitol Hill can really bring about hope and change. We need someone who can really make a difference not just make empty promises. If all admins. are responsible over teh last 30+ years, as you say, then aren't we ALL ready for a NEW way of thinking? I'm ready for a pres. who simply wants to cut spending. Now THAT'S realistic.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 3:44 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I know, this has been bothering me, and I've posted about it a couple of times, but never got much response, either.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:53 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• The rich needs to give up their money that they cannot possibly use and make the poor richer.

***

Or the poor could go back and complete or continue with their education and/or advanced level skills/trades, to make themselves more marketable, get a job or two or open a business of their own, and............wait for it...........make their OWN money!! Instead of waiting for those of us who grew up poor, but decided we wanted a better way of life, pushed ourselves to do better...and as a result became successful!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:35 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Obama must be beaming........
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:22 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

No you need to worry about your own money. If someone earns money it is theirs to decide what they do with since they earned it. Why would you think it's OK to steal from another person like that? And the poor can't become richer on their own because why? Most millionaires are self-made. So why can't a poor person become a middle-class citizen if they want to? How is it the riches responsibility to take care of the underclass? I am all for charity. I am just tired of this type of mentality.

SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 5:42 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Yep. It's risen... again.

The poverty levels in this country have been on a steady annual increase for a decade (probably plus).

There is no change here. Poverty has been and will continue to be on the rise in this country due to many factors. The main one being the lack of sustainable, living wage jobs. Which the lack of those is due to government choices in regards to business/corporations that have been going on for 30 years now. And sadly, I see no change in this situation coming anywhere in the near future. This is becoming the new standard in America, just like service industry jobs, low wages, no benies, no retirement..etc.. are becoming the new standard in American.

. Welcome to globalization . The idea was that everyone else in the world would start making money, but "We" would still stay on top making the most money. That's not what happened...

pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 12:26 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Poor people don't vote or donate money to politicians

***

Au contrare!! They DO vote...and more often than not for the Democrats...you know, the party that keeps giving them handouts, thereby increasing their independence on the government, and keeping them from prospering?! :o)

http://www.fff.org/comment/com0606j.asp

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:42 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Obama should be happy, his trickle up poverty is working.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 2:32 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• i'm sure it's Bush's fault, just like everything else. Obama better hope this is his only term, if he gets reelected he might start getting blamed for something!
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 3:15 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• No surprise
    cmlkb

Answer by cmlkb at 12:34 PM on Sep. 16, 2010