Pop-Up camper Vs. Tent?

We are wanting to get into camping. Havent been since we where kids so we practically know nothing & are learning..
We bought a tent, super easy to put up.. But still need alot of other gear.
DH found a Pop-Up camper on craigslist for $800. It looks nice..
But I dont know enough about camping. or about Pop-Ups!?

So what are the pros/cons of pop-ups / tents?

Have you camped in both? Whats your experience?

MommaTasha1003

Asked by MommaTasha1003 at 12:27 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I prefer tents... we always bring our air mattress and then sleep in our sleeping bags on the mattress.
    i agree with jademom about the cheaper lots too... its much more convenient to me and feels more like actual camping.
    we always bring a tarp to put on the ground under our tent too to help keep things clean and dry (its big enough to give us a bit of a door step too where we take our shoes off before going into the tent.
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 12:33 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Pop-ups are more roomy and sturdy in the event of weather. They are also more comfy. Tents can get into places easily with no need to tow. They also are cheaper to get a lot at a campground.

I prefer pop-up to tent. Unless there is one thick air mattress. Otherwise, I won't be getting up off the ground anytime soon and then I won't be walking.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:29 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Pop-ups!!! Comfier, roomier, can store all your stuff, have electricity, more weather friendly, I think they just make for an all around better experience.

I have a tent, but take my friends up on their offer to stay in the camper!!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:32 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Your car has to be able to tow a pop-up. Your car has the have the proper hitch to haul a popup. Then ontop of that you have to know how to maintain a popup camper, know how to open/close it, etc. A popup is convenient for those who don't like to sleep in a tent, but aren't quite the RV users. They have little space, but are great for small families or couples. They can range in style, comfort, and luxeries depending on the make and model of the camper.

A tent is about as basic as you can get outside of being in a sleeping bag under the stars. There's not much to know about those except maintaining them and knowing about to put one up/take one down.

The more camper you have.. Whether a popup, C-class, or even as high as an A-class the more you lose out on that true camping experience. You're basically driving a home to a wooded area, and that defeats the whole camping experience.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:51 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• We've always camped in a tent but one weekend we rented a pop-up and now I really want to buy one. But with my kids as teenagers we don't get away much so it probably wouldn't be a good use of money. We have canvas cots that are very comfortable and air mattresses. I've never thought tents weren't comfortable, it's just nice to have a floor under your feet!
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 2:53 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• NO NO NO ! !

Pop ups can be an extreme waste of money! If you must buy a camper, get a tow behind trailer.
    We bought a nice pop up 2 years ago, first time out, the cable broke and the entire thing came down! It was used and the cost to fix it was more then what it was worth.

Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 5:16 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Marriot Courtyard :)
    CFMPprincess

Answer by CFMPprincess at 7:35 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• popups are great make sure if you buy one you check out how much work is needed to fix it back up if stored improperly the floors can weaken and the canvas may need replacing if holes or covered with mildes from being packed away wet. We do both kinds of camping and both have pros and cons. Also remember you will need a hitch and all that entails added to your vehicle if you dont already have them and make sure the towing capacity of your car fully loaded with gear and people can handle the popup weight as well to avoid costly car repairs
    steveiguana

Answer by steveiguana at 7:14 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Ya.. Im scared of losing the "camping feeling" I dont want a home on wheels really, what is the point in camping?.. BUT.. my dh has a bad back so he would benefit from sleeping in something more bed-like..
    Its very hard to decide..

MommaTasha1003

Comment by MommaTasha1003 (original poster) at 12:38 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• i like camping in an rv...
    pinkdena

Answer by pinkdena at 2:38 PM on Sep. 18, 2010