The "I can'ts"

Any advice on how to break my 4 yo from the I can't habit without losing my patience?

sokkamum

Asked by sokkamum at 12:35 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It can be frustrating when your child starts in with that..especially when you KNOW they can do it and they just keep insisting that they can't.
    As hard as it may be..try to keep your patience..keep a smile on your face. Get down to thier level and say,"well, lets work on it together" Do whatever it is together and then tell them to try it for themselves. Keep doing whatever it is together until they are willing to give trying it themselves a shot. When they finally do it themselves, make a big deal out of it, clapping your hands and saying that they should be so proud of themselves.
    Hope this helps!! :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:39 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Always say..."You can and You will". Then, help them a little and encourage a lot.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:37 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• EVERYTIME he says is, correct him. Let him know this is not something he is allowed to say. Explain he CAN its just that he must try..or maybe even ask for help. But HE CAN!

Good luck...I already went throught this with my now 5 year old. Lol. He did it more around 3 though...
    tiger_tatted1

Answer by tiger_tatted1 at 12:37 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Ahh! I go through those a lot too. I just tell him "yes, you can" and let him be on his own and he will eventually do it.
    rylymama

Answer by rylymama at 1:47 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Just keep encouraging him and saying yes you can
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 3:07 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Just pretend you don't hear the I can'ts and just keep going on with what you are doing. Show her she CAN and soon the I can't will be a thing of the past.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 3:55 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Just remind him anything is possible and that you guys need to do this as a team. You didn't writ what he says he can't do so I'm just trying to image everything. Sometimes asking why they think that might help.
    whoreallycares

Answer by whoreallycares at 6:04 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I usually tell mine to take a deep breath calm down and then try again, it works most of the time.

martat

Answer by martat at 9:54 AM on Sep. 17, 2010