What do you think of allowing younger teens to drive small distances?

I think there isn't anything wrong with it personally.

Especially if you are somewhere they can't hurt anyone (minus if they wreck the car - duh) and there won't be cops (on a farm, dirt road close to home, long driveway, etc).

I think it gives them a chance to get used to driving and to be comfortable with the vehicle so that when they do go and take their test they aren't so nervous and when they get behind the wheel alone they will have begun to master the skill of driving.

It also gives them an advanced chance at learning the rules of the road. :)

What do you ladies think?

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 12:40 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• depends how "young" you're talking about really... 14-15yo doesn't seem too bad and to be honest most people i know grew up driving on the farm or on back dirt roads before they were actually old enough to drive. but we live in a rural area and there are lots of farms/ranches for them to do that. i would NEVER let my child drive on a highway or even in town before they were old enough and had a license/permit... But i do agree that it gives them a small advantage to already know the way the vehicle works and to learn the skills before hand. I feel that kids nowadays don't get enough experience before they get a license and that makes them nervous and they make mistakes easily and cause accidents.
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 12:44 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I let mine drive with me through our mobile park to the dumpster, then, back home. That is all.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:44 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• In the state of MD, You get a learners Permit before taking an actual driving test(you only have a computerized test) so it is LEGAL after they take and pass that test.

But before they have a license(permit or other) I think it is wrong UNLESS you are on your own farm with wide open space.....and that it.

But thats my opinion!
    tiger_tatted1

Answer by tiger_tatted1 at 12:44 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I think that's what a learner's permit is for.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 12:46 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• LOL..I had my learners permit and my license at 14. I was in the 9th grade and had drivers ed.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:48 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I think its illegal.. & I wouldn't do it.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:41 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I let my 15 year old drive up the cul de sac and into the driveway. I would never take him on the real road.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:53 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• You can get your permit here in Alaska at age 14. So yes, at that point, kids can legally drive on the ROADS.
    We have in the past let our kids of all ages drive on our farm and in the backwoods but never on public roads.
    There are many states that allow "farm" kids get a license as young as age 12 but they can only drive on the farm and perhaps to and from the farm.

Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 1:04 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• If you're talking about letting them drive before they're of the legal age for driving, then NO. Unless you perhaps live on a big farm and they never leave your property. I don't care how close it is and how little traffic there is on it. If your child is pulling out of your driveway and runs into another vehicle and the child not only doesn't have a license but isn't even old enough to have one, you and the kid will be in so much trouble. And some states even have laws that in this kind of situation, the child then can't get a license until s/he is 18.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 2:02 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Illegal and stupid.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 3:09 PM on Sep. 16, 2010