How does Palin feel about African Americans? Has anyone seen this? what you think? do you even care?

'As for Governor Sarah Palin's involvement in the African American community, the Governor's office hasn't participated in any of our Alaska Juneteenth Events. All previous Alaskan Governor's have traditionally attended and participated in our annual Juneteenth Celebration. Gov. Palin was the first governor not to send out a congratulatory letter or assist us in any way with our Juneteenth activities.

I didn't have the courtesy of receiving a reply when I asked for a representative from the Governor's office to come and speak at our Juneteenth Celebration if Governor Palin was unable to attend. I never even heard of Gov. Palin until she was elected Mayor of Wasilla, Alaska, in Mat-Su Valley.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:21 PM on Oct. 17, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• she said she won't hire any blacks. I'm sure there are qualified african americans in alaska
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Governor Palin is a very energetic and spontaneous woman. With some of the things being said and going around this state right now, I'm surprised none of the national media have bothered to come here and get the words directly from the mouths of the people who have lived with her all of these years instead of 'surfing the net!'

My other opinion is why would an individual who, to my knowledge, has not hired any African Americans on her gubernatorial staff, insist so passionately on being on a television show owned and operated by an African American, Oprah Winfrey?

While meeting with Black leaders concerning the absence of any African Americans on her staff, Gov. Palin responded that she doesn't have to hire any Blacks and was not intending to hire any. What kind of attitude is this toward African American for who may be the first Vice-President of the United States?

Anonymous

• I understand Oprah did have Senator Obama on her show a few times and was the main person raising funds for him 'before' the presidency race was in full swing. However, the key point here is that it is Oprah's prerogative not be used as a pawn to tilt the vote one way or another. Oprah has stated repeatedly that she wasn't going to have one side or the other on her show by choice. I thought that was what the Civil Rights Movement was all about, a persons right to make their own choices. I guess this isn't a Democracy at all anymore.'

Gwendolyn Alexander, President
    African American Historical Society of Alaska
    Alaska Juneteenth Celebration
    P. O. Box 143105
    Anchorage AK 99514
    (907) 884-6860
    Anonymous

• This letter contradicts itself. The author acknowledges that Oprah had ONLY Obama on, endorsed him, and is raising funds for him...then states that "Oprah's perogative not be used as a pawn to tilt the vote one way or another." Well...I'm sorry to point out the obvious, but WAS her intent. If it wasn't, why did she endorse ANYONE?

Further, Palin didn't insist to be interviewed by Oprah. Oprah was asked if she was going to interview Palin, to which Oprah responded no. It wasn't until boycotts and protests surfaced that Oprah flipped and offered to interview her after the election.
    Anonymous

• (Continuation)
    I'd also like to see the source which claims that Palin told leaders in Alaska that she didn't have to hire any African-Americans. I notice that you left that and the website from which you obtained this letter out.

If Obama is elected--it won't be a Democracy anymore. We will become a Socialist nation. If you don't know what that means, please look it up. You probably won't like what you see.
    Anonymous

• Governor Palin is from ALASKA! Alaska has about a 0.3% African-American population. There probably aren't any African-Americans up there for her to hire, unless she bribes them to move to the land of forever ice.
    Anonymous

• Look at her !!! She is classic racist. She will never attend a black anything and McCain knows it, that is why he chose her to comfort the other racist "classic" soccor moms.
    Anonymous

• Wow! You can tell someone is racist by looking at them? AND you classified soccer moms as racist? What about hockey moms, since that is what Sarah Palin is? Are they racist, too? While you're at it, just classify ALL moms, okay? Do I think you're a racist? You betcha! Have a nice evening.
    Anonymous

• must be, you are the first one to bite
    Anonymous

• Why is everyone anon?
    McCainPalin

Answer by McCainPalin at 11:08 PM on Oct. 17, 2008