Should you force your child to play a sport in junior high or high school?

skybluemom

Asked by skybluemom at 1:12 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in

• Are there any sports they like? Force is a strong word, but playing sports is the best way for kids to stay active and socialize. I think they are important, and I think you should try to find a sport that works for him or her. There are soooo many.
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 1:13 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• No I was forced to and hated it. I will let it be up to them.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 1:21 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• How could you force them? It's a good idea, but at that age it's quite competitive. You have to try out for the school teams. If you are not already accomplished in your sport, you are not going to make the team. They should definitely do some sort of extra curricular activity.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:22 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• No, that's not right. You wouldn't want to be forced to participate in something that you didn't like. Why would you force a child to do so? I can understand wanting them to socialize or become more active, but there are other things outside of sports that allow that. Find what your child likes, is passionate about, and wants to do. You may be the parent, but that's your child's life, not yours. Their happiness isn't based on what you think.. It's based on what makes them happy.

I say "You", but I mean genearlly anyone who is trying to do that to their kid.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:29 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• No. They should be able to participate in activities of their choosing. Telling them that they need to participate in "something" is a good idea - chess club, skiing, tennis, debate team, etc.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 1:29 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• no!
    Brittney20

Answer by Brittney20 at 1:52 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I dont think you should *force* if they want to then they can.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 2:49 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• i would strongly encourage it. i think it is very important to be a part of a team.
    team players make better employees and they make better bosses too!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:28 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I will never force my child to join something he is not into. He wanted to do scouts for a while and then lost interest. I did make him finish the year, but did not force him to rejoin the next year. If he wants to do a sport I will support him, but I would never MAKE him join. However, if he did join, I would make sure he finished the season if he made the committment.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 3:59 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• no, but she would have to do something extracurricular. art, dance, band, something!
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 5:07 PM on Sep. 16, 2010