At what age should your daughter be allowed to start wearing contacts instead of eyeglasses?

skybluemom

Asked by skybluemom at 1:14 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Kids' Health

• When they are old enough to take care of the contacts.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 1:15 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• When they are able to properly put them in themselves and keep up the proper hygiene in terms of eye care.
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 1:16 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Not an age thing. It's a maturity thing. And some little kids can handle taking care of them. Some babies wear contacts.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:16 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I think every child is different. They must show that they are responsible. Because not preoperly taking care of contacts, can lead to serious infections and possible permanant damage to the eyes. I allowed my son at the age of 13. 

jennient3

Answer by jennient3 at 1:17 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• If she does sports, they are a must. Is she responsible? I was 13 and it was fine. If my daughter wanted them, I would get them as young as 10. I've known 8 year old boy hockey players that wear them. They really have to, you can't wear glasses on the ice, they fog up.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:17 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I started at 11 but only because I had saved up 1/2 the cost. That proved to my mom that I was responsible enough to save for them and would then take care of them since I had paid some. That was back before disposable contacts though.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:21 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• My 10 year old has asked me for them already. I know she'd be responsible enough for them but I'm going to make her wait until she's 12.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 1:23 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• When she can take care of them herself.
    Airforce3mom

Answer by Airforce3mom at 1:24 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• 1. When they're old enough to be responsible for them.
    2. When the Optomotrist gives the Okay. Some eyes can't handle contacts like other eyes can, so if the Optom. Thinks it's too early or a bad idea, then I would have to agree.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:24 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• 1.) Once the eye doctor says it's safe and okay for them to do so.
    2.) When they are mature enough to care for the lenses and her eyes
    3.) When she decides she wants them.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:45 PM on Sep. 16, 2010