Student Loan Disbursments?

I've never gotten a grant before and the last time I went to college was 9 years ago. I just got an email that I received a disbursement to my account. Yay! I wasn't expecting it until the 24th, as I'm considered a "new student" but this appears to only be the remainder of the Pell Grant for this semester.

Does anyone know if it's normal to get grant money separate from loans? They weren't even supposed to start disbursements until tomorrow so I'm kind of feeling like it's a too-good-to-be-true moment.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Xynyth

Asked by Xynyth at 1:15 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in

• At my school, tuition and fees are paid then the rest of financial aid is paid out...grants and loans all at one time...about 6 weeks after the semester starts. NO ONE gets it earlier than that. They want to make sure people stay in school. Too many people get their aid and then stop going to class.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:27 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• My college applies all financial aid and disburses the rest left over. They tell us disbursements start on first day of class, but I always have the Friday before class starts. I would just call.

Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 1:20 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Yes, I've been in school for 6 years now, and it always happens likes that - grant money first, loan money second.
    dinaca81

Answer by dinaca81 at 1:51 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Not sure but gave you a bump!
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 3:58 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• No experience, but congrats!! GL with school too!
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 5:07 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Yes, my dh got different disbursements at different times because they originate at different places. We are still waiting for one of them.
    science_spot

Answer by science_spot at 9:15 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Ours says they give disbursements 4 weeks after classes start for returning students and 30 days after the first day of class for new student. I guess I should just call though huh lol :)
    Xynyth

Comment by Xynyth (original poster) at 1:29 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Sweet! Because this could not have come at a better time!

And I guess the financial aid office closed early today, but it says available so I'm going to pay some bills! Thank you!
    Xynyth

Comment by Xynyth (original poster) at 1:58 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Not sure.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 2:48 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• aww you guys are so sweet :) Thanks! I can't say it's been easy with both my husband and I enrolled full time, splitting classes so we don't have to pay for day care, but we're doing it and doing pretty well so far :) I'm excited!
    Xynyth

Comment by Xynyth (original poster) at 5:22 PM on Sep. 16, 2010