Gay marriage: Are Civil Unions just like Jim Crow Laws?

I have heard these phrases strung together and I am either to ignorant to understand, or I just have a rosie look of the world. I understand that civil unions are not as strong as a marriage, but all the basic rights are there... right? What specific rights are not given in a civil union that ARE given in a marriage. What is your understanding of this issue? Could marriages be "tossed" out of the government/legal system and EVERYONE have civil unions? Would that eliminate the "Jim Crow" laws or just impound the problem? I am particuraly inetersted in the opinions of moms from CA... but anyone can have an opinion;)

beanielips

Asked by beanielips at 9:27 PM on Oct. 17, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I think we should do civil unions across the board for all couples.
    Babujai

Answer by Babujai at 9:59 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• what is the difference between civil union and marriage? I honestly don't know.
    Anonymous

• I do know that marraiges hold up better in the courts and in the face of an emergency. I.e. getting into an ambulance a man says "that is my wife" and he is let in, a woman says "that is my wife" and she may be denied. I just don't know if that is a legal issue or a human behavior issue.
    beanielips

Answer by beanielips at 9:37 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• This is from the No on Prop 8 website: Domestic Partnerships are NOT the same as marriage. Domestic partnerships are just legal documents. They don’t provide the same dignity, respect, and commitment as a marriage. In a marriage, a paramedic doesn’t tell you that you cannot get into an ambulance with your spouse. Married couples can automatically make life or death decisions for each other in these crisis situations, no questions asked.

Hmmm. I thought it involved more than that. I thought it was a difference in tax deductions among lots of other minor differences that add up to a lot. My guess is that they don't mention that because anti-gay rights people would object to homosexuals getting a tax break for something they believe is a sin.

CluelessCarrie

Answer by CluelessCarrie at 9:51 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• BTW, I'm a California mom and I am against Prop 8.
    CluelessCarrie

Answer by CluelessCarrie at 9:54 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• The difference is the lack of respect given to homosexuals. Marriage is seen as a sacred union between 2 people who love each other. Civil Union is often viewed as a way to shut them up. Appease them without actually allowing them to marry. Civil Unions do not give all of the legal the rights that marriage does.
    Anonymous

• I'm a California mom and I voted for the marriage as between a man and a woman the FIRST time we as voters had a chance to voice our opinion on the issue. So, I'm voting FOR prop 8 this time around too. I don't see civil unions as a Jim Crowe law at all. It's the same thing, just keeping the idea/sanctity of the word marriage as between a man and a woman. I don't think that legally anyone can force me into allowing my children to have to hear that marriage is OK in school. Civil unions allow the same legal rights to homosexual couples and it keeps their politics out of my home. And that qoute some one posted that civil unions don't offer the same commitment as marraige? Commitment is not a legal paper you fill out!
    unsuspected

Answer by unsuspected at 11:00 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I'm with Babujai. Civil Unions in the law, marriage in the church.
    Imaginaryfriend

Answer by Imaginaryfriend at 11:34 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Again I ask, if it were the other way around, and a man and a woman were not allowed to marry, but were told they could have this civil union because it's "close enough," how would you feel?  Is that crumb thrown to you good enough?  Would it do just as well as marriage?  Being able to marry is a HUMAN right gay people want because, first and foremost, they are human beings, not a gay right they insist upon to make straight religious bigots uncomfortable.

roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 11:36 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Oh, and the concept of marriage pre-dates christianity. That makes it just another pagan ritual usurped by the church. Maybe Pagans everywhere should begin a grassroots campaign to take back marriage and not allow christians the privilege.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 11:39 PM on Oct. 17, 2008