How can I get an 8 month old to stop a high pitch scream?

I have been babysitting a 9 month old for almost 6 months now (6am-5pm). About a 4-5 weeks ago these high pitch screams (not crying, no tears, just shrieks) and it wakes up my 3 year old. At first I thought he wanted attention so I got down on the floor and we played for days but I don't know what he wants. It is something from me because he stares right at me but he isn't tired, hungry, under stimulated or have a dirty diaper. I just don't know what to do. any suggestions? He does this only from 7-8 and 3:30-5. TIA

katie23

Asked by katie23 at 1:28 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son did that from 7-9 months. I thought I was going to lose my mind. It was this high-pitched "the devil himself is tearing out my soul" sort of scream that would just echo in my head for hours after he stopped. I called my MIL, called the doctor, called everyone with kids and got the same answer from everyone: he just must really like that noise.
    While I was glad nothing was wrong, this was still not the answer I wanted because that meant it wouldn't stop. What I did then was introduced as many strange, wacky sounds as I could come up with until he found one that fascinated him more than the scream. It took a bit to find one, and I made sure there wasn't much in the way of volume to the new ones, but we seriously threw a party for the end of the scream.
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 1:48 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• maybe he just likes the sound of it
    devinalexis

Answer by devinalexis at 1:32 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• lol! I hope not haha I was hoping to solve this problem :)
    katie23

Comment by katie23 (original poster) at 1:33 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Good luck!
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 1:33 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• my 5 month old dose that just to hear him self if you find away to stop it please let me know
    devinalexis

Answer by devinalexis at 1:35 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Stupid question from me but..have you asked his parents?

LostTheSlipper

Answer by LostTheSlipper at 1:40 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• It sounds like he just really likes the sound of his scream. =) Or what changes durning those hours you say he does it.
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 1:42 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Some babys do that they scream for no appernt reason at all my son mostly screams cause he is tired!!!!
    Expectingmom164

Answer by Expectingmom164 at 1:44 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• my dd still has an awful scream cry! it is awful!
    i wonder if flitpixie's technique would work on a 2 yo?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:26 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I just popped in my ipod when my DS did that. it's just a normal part of babies testing their vocal chords....
    paganmom05

Answer by paganmom05 at 6:32 PM on Sep. 16, 2010