Changing a mobile 9 month old baby

Any advice for changing a 9 month old baby who won't sit still? I have 2 toys in his changing area that he only sees when he's getting changed, and that used to work, but now he wants to flip himself over and crawl away every time I'm changing him. And I'm using the belt on the changing pad and he still can flip over and move away. And if I flip him back over, he screams/cries at me. I need a way to make this easier for both of us.

kathria

Asked by kathria at 1:37 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I sing to my wiggle-bottoms sometimes. Doesn't always work, but seems to help often. If he's fussy, I just have to start "If you're happy & you know it" and he smiles and starts clapping his hands.
    hobbyhorse

Answer by hobbyhorse at 1:45 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Change him on the floor and put a toy in his hands to hold while you are doing it or put the TV on a kids show and change him on the floor in front of the TV.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:39 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• no easy way but to get it done quick. Some times you have to just pin them down and get it over with, its a phase he'll grow out of.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:40 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• By the way, I put an area rug on my kitchen floor for this specific reason & for dressing after baths in the sink :)
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:41 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Do it on the floor or your bed. And do it quick!! The TV is a good idea. Or let him hold your cell phone, my kids always loved the phone. The changing table days might be over.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:41 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:18 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I faced this with our first. 1. Get a changing pad with curved sides and 2. Give the baby something to hold. I would let my son hold the baby powder container.
    qustnmrk28

Answer by qustnmrk28 at 5:00 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Have you tried giving him a toy that he only gets to play with during diaper changes?
    kelliehelvie

Answer by kelliehelvie at 5:27 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I do have the curved sides on the changing pad, and I do let my child hold something, toys, his bulb syringe, blankets, whatever I can use to try to distract him for a while. It helps for about 5-10 seconds, then it's back to crazy baby.

I appreciate the suggestion about using a unique toy when changing him, but as I posted in my original question, I already do that.

I don't want to change him on the floor or bed, I find that rather disgusting to take the chance that he's going to pee/poop on an area that we use for something other than changing.
    kathria

Comment by kathria (original poster) at 5:41 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I know this sounds bad, but I used to lay them on the floor, and lay my legs over their legs and hips while they played with their toys. By now, you should be an old shoe at getting the job done quick, and for a 9 mo old the quicker the better. Get ready to start changing while they are running.. That's even more fun yet, or in the car while you are on the run... LOL
    Anidawehiwahya

Answer by Anidawehiwahya at 7:11 PM on Sep. 16, 2010