Breastfeeding & Alcohol....???

When breastfeeding they say not to drink. But if you have milk to use if you want to go out..How long does it take for the alcohol to get out of your system so you can breastfeed again??

tiger_tatted1

Asked by tiger_tatted1 at 1:39 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Safe to drive = safe to nurse. One drink? Fine. Two may well be fine for you. Stinking drunk? No nursing till you're sober.

Unfortunately the test strips are a waste. They can show you're under the influence when you haven't had a drink!

Answer by gdiamante at 2:52 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I wouldn't drink at all , because your breast feeding.
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 1:40 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Why chance it? Don't drink at all.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:41 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• yes you can drink. it takes about an hour or 2 per drink. do 2 hours to be safe. :) so if you have 2 drinks, done drinking at midnight, wait until 4 am. i'd wait until baby is a few months old to be sure supply is pretty well established, but that's just me :-)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 1:43 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Not sure of the length of time but if you must drink, I would think you'd have to "pump and dump", meaning after you go out, pump your milk and dump it out.
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 1:41 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• & you do not have to pump and dump.
    http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/alcohol.html
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 1:44 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I have no idea what the answer is to this.. so heres a bump!
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:40 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I personally never drank while pregnant or pumping, because there is no way that I was taking any chance that the alcohol would get into my son's system. I know there are tests out there that can test your breast milk before you try to nurse again, which I would highly recommend if you do have to drink alcohol.
    kathria

Answer by kathria at 1:42 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• It is two hours after one drink. I calculated very carefully when I was breast feeding. I would have a glass of wine or a drink once in awhile.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 1:44 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• There's LOTS of misinformation about this!!! Less than 2% of the alcohol actually passes through to your milk. My lactation consultant told me that 1-2 (beer or wine) is OK but after that you have to pay for it. In other words, for each drink past that, wait 2 hours to nurse. Let's so you go out and have 4 drinks and get home at midnight. I wouldn't nurse until 4-5 a.m. However, the general rule of thumb is always: if you are sober enough to drive, you are sober enough to nurse. There is NO need to 'pump and dump', unless engorged. It does not get rid of the alcohol faster.

I'm not condoning going out and getting wasted while being nursing Mom, however, you can have a few drinks on occasion and not feel guilty about it. As long as you take the precautions, plan ahead and use common sense, you'll be fine!

Check out: http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/alcohol.html for more information.
    jacksmom3707

Answer by jacksmom3707 at 1:58 PM on Sep. 16, 2010