mother - inlaw making me go crazy *srry its long im just pissed off*

im married to her only child, i once liked her a lot but three years ago i had my first child my son. one day when he was like 6monthes old she said "call me mommy" i turned around and said hell no his not his my son what she said to that is "his my sons son so that makes him my son" YES shes crazy but the other day the witch texted me and said this" where im babyshower invited am i not allowed to go?" i texted back and said i was gonna give u urs in person" she said ok well i want jonathan my husband to call me asap ok. ( ok so is it just me or does this happen to other people? why are moms like this i hope im never never like that to my son

twimommy

Asked by twimommy at 1:45 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Relationships

• Honestly, don't waste your time trying to figure her out. Spend your energy on your husband and baby. They are who matter the most. You are better off just ignoring the witch. Good luck.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 1:49 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• My mother in law was allowing my son to call her mommy, at first hubby didn't see anything wrong with it, since we all live together, but then he called another man daddy & suddenly it wasn't alright anymore... Its not alright, if you're not alright with it. Im sorry that she's a bit on the loony side, but you are not alone in this.

She also calls my son by his fathers name, which drives me insane. (His full name is John Thomas, while daddy's name is Thomas. I hate his middle name & everyone knew from the minute he was born He was going to be called JOHN.)

(my hubby is an only child also.....)
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 1:50 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• My boys are 18, 21 & 28. I hope I'm never like that as well!! I love my sons, and hope to be a part of their lives and have good relationships with my daughter in laws. I've never had daughters, so I always love having the girls around. I'm looking forward to grandchildren, but I certainly know I'm not their mom. I've already told my sons that if they think I'm interfering too much, or making my daughter in laws uncomfortable, I hope they will tell me early on, and not let things get out of hand.

I think your husband needs to have a talk with her.

Good Luck!! Sorry you're dealing with this.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 1:51 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I am so glad my MIL lives overseas. LOL!
    rylymama

Answer by rylymama at 1:52 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I'm having a hard time deciphering some of your post.

So you have a controlling mother in law? Is that it? You need to tell her she is controlling & that you don't like it. Let her know that if her controlling behavior continues that it is going to jeopardize her relationship with you & possibly her son. If she keeps it up, then warn her one more time. After that, i would just ignore her but tell her that she pushed too far & that you're not going to deal with her anymore if she cannot learn to stop her controlling attitude.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:53 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I would reiterate to your child what you want your mother-in-law to be called by him. So if you want her to be called grandma, go out of your way to call her that all of the time. During her visits, afterward and before. YOU are mommy, not her. She had her chance to be mommy, and now it's your turn. Tell her that you think it's disrespectful to have both of you being called mommy and that you want her to have her own title. She'll have to cope when your son starts to call her grandma.

Otherwise, pick your battles. If it really means a lot to you, it's worth it, but if it's not a battle you really have to win, let it go.
    kathria

Answer by kathria at 1:56 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Mine tries to be controlling but I have stopped letting her. Most of the time I don't even talk to her just get updates from DH when he calls her.

martat

Answer by martat at 1:58 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I'm sorry that she is bothering you.
    I guess be happy that she loves your son, and in truth, he'll end up calling her whatever he wants.
    I would have your husband talk to his mother to ask her to stop telling your son to call her mommy.

It will work out I'm sure.

ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 2:24 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• OMG I feel you I hate hate hate my fiances mother she does the same thing it pisses me off she calls my son her son and says come to mommy and I told her the same thing you did.
    jessesmama22

Answer by jessesmama22 at 3:14 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Wow she sounds a little off her rocker - kind of like my MIIL. My MIL is a gossip, and crazy. When my husband and I were having problems and starting to work them out, she started stirring up the pot by lying to him and then saying bad things about me to my kids. My kids told me that they can't even say what she said because it was so wrong and upsetting. I gave my boys the power to tell her to the shut up and not talk about me in front of them, this didn't even work, my husband called her on it and it got worse. My boys refuse to talk to her now. You can teach your son what to call grandma and you can enforce it. You can tell your MIL to call her son herself. You have the power and control, don't give in to her bs...she may drive you crazy but all the cards on your side, use them wisely :)
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 3:43 PM on Sep. 16, 2010