Stopping the digging??

We have 2 puppies. I know, I'm crazy! One is a 5 month old mini bulldog, the other is a 3 month old beagle. They both are digging the heck out of my yard. Any advice on stopping this??

tracy0812

Asked by tracy0812 at 1:47 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Pets

• Sounds like they are bored.

Exercise, exercise, exercise, exercise.
    Biz1985

Answer by Biz1985 at 1:49 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• You have a hound. If yours is anything like mine, you can't control it unless you get them into professional training, and the sooner the better. I have a 9 year old lab/hound mix and a 7 year old beagle/hound mix, and they have destroyed our backyard. We tried training way too late and it didn't work. I've tried every trick in the book and it just doesn't work. The only thing that has helped was to watch them outside constantly and yell at them when they started to dig. But I can't watch them when they are outside all of the time, so there goes my yard.

Take them to training. ASAP. In my opinion, it's your only chance.
    kathria

Answer by kathria at 1:49 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• shock colar.. when they are doing the digging shock them... sooner or later they will get the idea. also my friend put pepper on the lawn where they would play and they hated it so they stopped. but they still dig in other yards and areas. shock would teach them that the behavior is unwanted
    pinkdena

Answer by pinkdena at 1:50 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• First of all, digging is a dog's natural instinct. Depending upon the breed; some more than others. Maybe you can read about their breed and handle to handle them. The public library usually will have books (free) to check out.

Or, go online for the breed's information. Dogchannel.com is a good source to start at.

Good luck.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 1:52 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Good luck
    CarolineDezon

Answer by CarolineDezon at 2:36 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I have a Westies and they are diggers!!! I have tried the pepper spray you can get at the store. You spray it in the yard where you do not want the dogs to dig. It only lasts 24 hours. It doesn't hurt the ground/grass either. It has helped, but I have learned to NOT leave my dog alone in the yard. If she is left for even 5 minutes she will dig and for a little dog she can dig fast! I hate babysitting her at times but it is better than having holes everywhere.
    lil_Army_Wife05

Answer by lil_Army_Wife05 at 3:35 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I grew up with a beagle. They are natural diggers and boy they will dig the crap out of your yard until they are cut of it. We eventually trained our beagle not to dig using a standard dog whistle and this clicker training. (you can google it) The only time he ever dug again would be if he was in the backyard and we were gone for the day- I think he did it as a nervous/boredom thing then.
    MamaCarterof5

Answer by MamaCarterof5 at 5:31 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• You need to find out why they are digging. If they are bored they need exercise and toys. If they are hot then try keeping them inside when its hot outside or making sure they have a place to get out of the heat. They could also be trying to dig up moles. My neighbors cat digs up my yard going after moles.
    ivy102381

Answer by ivy102381 at 11:36 PM on Sep. 17, 2010