For those of you who work in customer service, or have had a customer service job in the past, what is by far your weirdest experience with a customer?

By customer service I mean anything dealing with the public, whether it's in person, or like a call center.

Nanixh

Asked by Nanixh at 1:53 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Money & Work

• I was a csr for directv. I guy once called me to turn on his service. He told me my voice was sexy, he was a pimp with hoes all over the world. Well anyways we went on with the call and I needed his social security number. He gave me a fake one, another fake one, then he gave the phone to someone else who was his "dad" and he gave me a fake one. The computer instructions told me to tell him he needed to call "such and such number" and he hung up. Best part about this call? I was still in training and my supervisor heard the whole thing. She even passed around the head phones and some supervisors plugged their headphones into my phone box.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:01 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I get weird stuff everyday! lol.. But some of the weirdest, people will email and say family members are dying and they need batteries immediately! lol.. & want us to send them to them for free! lol..
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:54 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Having worked in a restaurant and the person eats almost ALL of the food item and then complains there is a hair in the food or is was overcooked, etc! Then saying "I will not pay for this meal, etc".
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 1:55 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• this is gonna sound funny but it wasn't fun at the time. I use to work customer service in a department store and i also wore a chocker chain arond my neck. Don't ask why... It was the 90's. LOL anyway some guy wanted to know why i had it on and i said, "I don't know. I like it I guess. " The next thing i knew i was yanked over the counter by this man. He had a hold of the choker chain and just gave it a good rip! Ouch! I still remember that. I went home and cut the thing off let me tell you!!!
    mrsnikifrank

Answer by mrsnikifrank at 1:56 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I worked at Customer Service for Toshiba, I had two that I still remember years later. One lady called us and told us her cordless phone was not working, talked to her asking questions for a few minutes, and then found out, she had no phone service at her home. She thought she did not need it with a Cordless.
    The other, another lady called in, and was trying to use her cordless like a cell. She was mad because when she got so far from her house it cut her off.
    Both of those it took everything I had and then some not to just bust out laughing and say, "You know what you are not smart enough to have a phone!"
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 1:58 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• i was a waitress my whole life (so it seems) I can recall 3 incidents all involving older people. They seemed to turn on a dime as far as their demeanor...now that i am older and look back, i am thinking they might have had huge sugar drops maybe.
    i did have someone that "escaped from a home" and she ended up throwing spaghetti all over the wall.
    another interesting thing happened while working at a cafeteria. over the weekend a new soda dispenser and ice machine was installed. the ice lever was sticky and wouldn't quit spitting out ice. people recated in one of 3 ways...like they just won the jackpot, like they might have done something wrong and they snuck away, or some actually got mad!
    i thought it was fun to watch how people would react.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 1:58 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I used to work at a call center for a telephone company and have a ton of weird stories. I've been asked out by customers, asked to move to their houses, been told I worship the devil because I wouldn't turn their service back on for an unpaid bill, had customers call me every name under the sun, had a lady preach to me about the end of the world for over an hour, listened to people use the bathroom, was asked to personally come to their house to fix their phone or answering machine, I listened to an old lady's story about her cats for god knows how long, had someone pretending to be the CEO of our company tell me I'm an idiot and should be fired because of unpaid services and a shut off notice they received, had older customers tell me their life story. I can't even count the amount of times I've been hung up on. Ah, the memories =) hehehe
    Nanixh

Comment by Nanixh (original poster) at 2:04 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I've had a few weird costumers.

I think the worst was when I had a client who I had to perm. I was still in school for this at the time, and she was a bitch from the beginning. Wanted it cut short first and then permed (finally talked her into getting it cut after because there was NO way I was going to get a rod on it otherwise). Anyways, halfway through the perm solution, her hair went from bright orange to a baby blond. I was freaking out. Anways, as I'm washing her out at the sink, I'm trying to explain that sometimes perms can pull hair color (I just wasn't expecting it to pull THAT much). She just laughed and completely changed her whole attitude. Said it happens all th etime because she uses a cheap box color, and "not to worry my pretty little head off". In the end I ended up with a $13 dollar tip, it was like dealing with hyde then Jekyll. lol.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 4:32 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I don't know that I have any weird stories, but it was by far the worst job I've ever had in my life. I was screamed and yelled at all day and was under so much stress it changed my sleep and eating habits.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 4:47 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I worked at this photo lab, and this guy wanted me to copy a school picture from the 1970's. I explained to him that we couldn't and handed him a copy of the copyright law. He lost it and reached over the counter to choke me. My coworker called security and they escorted him out.
    toobigfrogs

Answer by toobigfrogs at 6:05 PM on Sep. 16, 2010