If you commit sin, knowing that it's a sin....

...and do it because you know you'll be forgiven, how does that work? Is that right? What about the next time you commit it, knowing full well it's wrong, but that you'll be forgiven? Does that give you a "free pass" at sin?

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 1:54 PM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I dont believe in "sin".. I believe in mistakes.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:55 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• God knows what's truly in our hearts and he knows if we're doing something wrong and know it, just because we know we'll be forgiven.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 1:57 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• No, it's not "right." When we are at that point in your relationship with God, we have a more issues than that sin. Our intimacy with Him is lacking and are probably somewhat immature in our Christianity.
    Biz1985

Answer by Biz1985 at 1:58 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I'm not sure I can really answer that.. lol

My belief/idea in regards to "sin" is different than many people's.. I believe that sinning is when I act maliciously or against my own conscience.. Example: Killing someone just for the fun of it would be a sin... Killing someone in order to save someone else/self defense would not be a sin.

So, with that said.. If I sin, forgiveness must come from myself. Because I sinned against myself, my own beliefs, my own morals..etc.. And that sin will greatly add a whold bunch of negative to my karma, and I will have to live with the consequences/reprecussions of that sin.

For me personally, the only "Sin" against God would be me denying God. That's it. I don't believe God punishes "sin" or "Sinner", we create our own punishments/reprecussions/consequences of our "sin'. God doesn't need to do that, and doesn't do it.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 1:59 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Ok, so what if God does know that someone is only sinning with the expectation that they'll be forgiven? Does it matter, since every sin can be forgiven? What happens if you knowingly sin? Is there a point where someone CAN'T be forgiven?
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 1:59 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Depends on what the sin is. Does it hurt yourself or another?
    boznitch

Answer by boznitch at 2:02 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I don't believe in sin either. I believe in cultivating spirituality and tending to one's "spiritual garden", in a sense.

Although I don't believe that there is any excuse for doing something you know is wrong, just because you believe you can get away with it....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:02 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Depends on what the sin is. Does it hurt yourself or another? "

iIm not referring to anything specific, lol. I'm just asking in general.
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 2:05 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• It sounds like you are talking about living in sin. I don't think there's a point where someone cannot be forgiven. However, I question the repentance of one who continues to live in sin (I don't mean messing up every now and then), and as we know, repentance is in the first couple steps of becoming Christian.

So if we don't have repentance down, we can't possibly proceed to live the abundant life we were promised.
    Biz1985

Answer by Biz1985 at 2:08 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• If you've accepted Jesus' sacrifice and salvation, then those sins have already been forgiven. But, the pride in doing the sin and the sin itself, puts a wall between you and God. You're still saved, God still sees the perfect Jesus in your place, but you won't be as close to Him as you could be. And every sin you commit builds the wall bigger and thicker. Asking forgiveness will knock the wall down and you can restore your relationship with Him.
    I don't know if that answers your question or not, but yes, those sins are still forgiven.
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 2:31 PM on Sep. 16, 2010